TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone has a really dry mouth and lips. For about a week or two I have a severely dry mouth and lips. It's a strange feeling, almost fuzzy like. I have never had it before and it's really annoying. I can't get enough water to quench my thirst. I have been on plaquenil for over 9 years and my lupus has been quiet for awhile except for fatigue. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Angie

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Angie,

I used to have very beautiful teeth. Never needed braces or anything. Did deal with the occasional cavity. Then as my Lupus came out of remission and I was diagnosed with Sjogrens, another autoimmune disease, my teeth are slowly going to the wayside.

Because my Sjogrens is so bad, I have no saliva to help aid my teeth in the cleasening process, thus causing my teeth to decay very rapidly. I was/am humiliated. I now have an upper partial and am currently on meds to help bring misture to my mouth as well as using special toothpaste, mouthwash, the works. I also wear fluoride plates at night to help slow the progression of the decaying of whats left of my teeth. The game plan is to get my mouth prepared for false teeth, not what was in my plan.

I would definately talk to your Rheumy or even your dentist to have them help you get a good plan in place. Unfortunately, I was a little to late, but at least now I get the best dental care ever, free products etc. I guess it helps when your dentist has Lupus too!!

Good luck,
Nancy

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Angie,"Sjogrens" means dry mouth, and what you do about it depends on how severe it is. I have had it for several yrs. The first thing you should do is to make sure that you tell your dr. Then the rest is up to you. I don't want to take any more meds or anything, so I carry arround
a water bottle with me whenever I go out, no matter where. Then I have one all over the house. Everyone has to make their own choice. I also suck on menthol cherry cough drops. Take care.:wink2:

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Angie,

I don't have Sjogrens and still get dry mouth, nose and a little with my eyes. My mouth and nose are caused by a combination of forced air heating and Nortryptaline. Do you take Amitryptaline or Nortryptaline? aka Elavil and Pamelor. Have you had a bad cold recently? I would put call your doctor on your to do list and see what he suggests. I am putting it on my list for my rheumy appt on Monday as my nose is really bad most of the time now and it bleeds easily.

Take care,
Karen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts