TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if a ds-dna is 1 number over normal is it considered a positive.
and is there such a thing as low end lupus thank you sheri

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Sheri,

Usually with test results there is a normal range listed next to your result.

In my country for DsDNA anything under 4 is normal, if mine was 5 I dont think that they would get excited :wink2: normal ranges can vary a little between individuals and low positive DsDNA's can be from things other than Lupus especially if they don't hang around.

love
Lily

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Sheri

I am not quite sure what you mean by low end lupus but if you mean low level or mild or something not too serious, the answer is yes - there are all different sorts and severities of lupus.

Some people have a few joint aches and pains a rash and that's it.
Anti ds DNA is not essential for a diagnosis although a few docs won't diagnose, formally at least, without it. If the anti ds- DNA starts rising that would usually be a sign of increased disease activity and possible worsening symptoms. It will be that much harder to get stable.
The important thing is to get correctly treated once an auto-immune connective tissue disease is strongly suspect and there is no other explanation for symptoms, regardless of the technical name. Lots of people don't fit neatly into the classification boxes known as diagnoses.

With an ANA that high plus anti RNP, the question is why isn't your doctor treating you already. Let him call it Undifferentiated or Mixed or whatever but not being able to be precise is no good reason not to be treating you adequately.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
It's normal for the body to produce low levels of anti-ds-dna, it's just the way our immune system works, so I'm with Lily on this, I don't think doctors would see one point over normal as being significant. My sister has similar sorts of results but does not have lupus.

hth

raglet

·
Registered
759 Posts
I dont think one number over normal would constitute a positive test. Labs over the country and in different countries have differing criteria for ds DNA antibodies. The labs in my current area assess 20 and below as a normal count and my dsDNAs are currently 22 which I have been told is very good and not considered in the active range although it is above the normal range of 20. Hope this helps.

Ann

1 - 5 of 5 Posts