TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...I have always had a high positive ANA but my dsDNA has always been negative, however in my last immunology set it was positive...my lupus has been flaring pretty badly..does this mean its getting worse and does it mean my kidneys(or other organs) are now more at risk? thanks xxx

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello mooks

I'm sorry to hear this new development. I'd say it is certainly not a good sign. Most doctors would take it as an indication that treatment is not being effective, but I don't think it necessarily means organ damage will follow. People have ds- DNA antibodies and never suffer kidney or CNS disease.

When do you see your rheumy next ?
I'm sorry you are going through so much.

Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Clare, I am seeing my Rheumy again on the 16th, as am just waiting for blood test results to see if i can start Azathioprine. Its been flaring ever since i had to stop Methotrexate a few months ago! very annoying as i felt the best ever on mtx. and now i feel rubbish! and everything takes sooo long to work!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi Mooks,
Ive got positive dsDNA and no organ involvement. It was one of the things that got me a diagnosis so in a way I felt it was a positive thing.
It must be frustrating sometimes having all the Lupus symptoms and then when your blood is tested it all comes back normal. I was sort of pleased in the end that that proved I wasnt making it all up.
Hope nothing worse comes of it for you too.
Sal x

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Mooks

Sorry you are going through so much right now. Your question doesnt really have a straight forward answer. So whats new with Lupus, eh? :rolleyes: While I have no doubt your Rheumy wouldnt be too happy to see these antibodies suddenly appear, it doesnt mean that you will necessarily develop kidney problems although they are closely associated with Lupus Nephritis.

I have these antibodies too and at times in quite high numbers and have no kidney worries. The anti dsdna antibodies at one time tended to be used to measure disease activity although there are now more sophisticated antibody testing which is proving to be more accurate in predicting the disease. However nothing is set in stone with this disease.

I know that you are going through a rough time right now. It took almost a year before my anti dsdna antibodies were within an 'acceptable' range - acceptable that is for my Rheumy to be happy with the current treatment Im on. The Plaquenil alone didnt cut it but adding prednisone into the mix seems to keep it under control. Only trouble is I have been on the pred now for three years and its been difficult getting off it without things flaring up again.

Still, I guess if thats what it takes to keep things from getting serious or life threatening then its worth it.

I would be very interested to hear what your Rheumy says about the appearance of these antibodies. Im sure he will be concerned.

Do let us know.

Much love
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Mooks,

Sorry your dealing with so much.

Curious, why did you have to stop Methotrexate if you did so good on it?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Karol :)

See

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71977

Previous posts can be found by clicking on the name in blue to the left of their post. A drop down menu gives options one of which is all their previous posts so you can check out their history. I am pretty sure that Mooks was taking the pills not the injections

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey thanks for your replies. yeah i had to stop methotrexate cos i felt like i had the worst hangover in the world for two days after i took it and i kept getting infections, like tonsilitis(which id never had in my life), chest infection, and infections in every single cut i got! I am seeing rheumy next week so will ask him about the dsdna results. and let you know what he says! xxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts