The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I just need to vent out some anger, frustration, tears and a few screams!

I am so angry and upset I dont even know what to say or do. I have never heard of such immoral, unprofessional, inhuman behavior in my life.

The first week of December I spoke with my lupus doctor and told him I was pregnant and my OBGYN asked me to touch base with him. He sent me for some bloodwork( Dec 10th) and told me to call in a few days for the results. I waited 4 days and called and spoke to his nurse, who told me not all of the results were in yet, and to call back. I also asked her when he wanted me to follow up with him in the office.

For the remainder of the month, I called a total of 4 times and no one returned any of my calls. I called again yesterday with no return call and again today demanding an answer for such unprofessional behavior. His nurse got on the telephone and told me your results were put in the mail yesterday !!?? ONE MONTH LATER!! When I asked why he has not returned my call to discuss my results I was told "he does not want to talk to you. You have not been here for a year, and if you want to talk to him you will have to come to the office to do so." She actually brought me to tears on the telephone.I have been his patient for over 6 years and never caused or experienced any kind of problem. Not to mention a CASH patient, as he does not accept any insurance. I dont understand why they just didnt tell me to come in a month ago, especially since I did ask when he wanted me to come in. And why bother sending me for the labs if he didnt want to treat me? I just dont get it.

So I am being penalized because I have been healthy for the past year..go figure!

I have already had the lab forward the results to my OBGYN because I got tired of waiting and some of the results were elevated. I think it is completely immoral for a doctor to knowingly not tell you when you have abnormal lab results, especially being pregnant and all. I cant believe he has put $$dollars before patient care.

I feel insulted and unimportant. Never before has a doctor treated me so terribly.

Anyhow, thanks for the space to vent. Maybe my hormones are making me more upset, but this whole situation has really blown my mind.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Good grief!! That sounds extremely odd.

My doctors are delighted if they don't see me for a year - it lessens their work load a little.

I would be furious too. It sounds highly unprofessional!

At a loss for words to say any more...
Katharine

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
That's definitely awful behavior - and there isn't a worse time to take that kind of approach with you being newly pregnant! I have to wonder if the doctor truly told the receptionist to say that though??? Or was the receptionist just being snarky that day of her own accord?

Hopefully there is another rheumatologist in the area that is good - feel free to ask for recommendations in the Find a Doctor forum here... I also hope that you have a high risk OB-gyn as that will be more important if you are presently without a rheumy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This sounds like unprofessional behavior. It's quite possible, though, that the doctor doesn't even know you have called. I've heard of many situations where the doctor's staff was screening the phone calls and many important ones were not getting through.

Either way, it is time to move on to another doctor. Even if it is the staff, they aren't going to go away and you need somebody more responsive.

It might be better to see the doctor every six months or so just to keep in touch. I've noticed many times that people who are new or infrequent to a doctor don't seem to be able to get emergency visits.

audi

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
I can understand your being so upset. I am also wondering if the doctor actually used those words or if his staff did of their own accord. I would send a letter to your doctor, registered mail, marked personal and confidential in bright red letters. Outline what your conversations have been like with his staff and that you are feeling like you need to find another doctor. It is true that doctors often have no idea how badly their staff is behaving towards patients.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
718 Posts
I to am a cash patience, but have never been treated that bad.
Are you sure he is licensed???????????
I've never heard of a dr. refusing to take insurance.
It's usually we cash patience they don't want to mess with.
I believe I would turn his ol but in to the medical board.

Good luck finding aonther dr, and even better good
luck with the baby, and obgyn.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all,

Well, I've calmed down a bit, and realize I'm better off looking for an office and doctor that has more compassion anyway. I deserve better.

I received the labs in the mail today..no note, explanation or anything! One month ago they were drawn, and a months worth of unreturned telephone messages. :worried:

Karen, I think I will take your advise and pen him a letter, whether it reaches his desk or not at least I will have spoken my mind. My husband is so angry, he wants to make an appointment just to tell him off..:lol: I'd rather save the $350.00 LOL

I do have a high risk OBGYN who is knowledgable about lupus...actually he has been trying to persuade me to seek a doctor who takes insurance for the last 2 years, but I was happy with the care I had been receiving.

Its a shame, because he is a well respected, highly qualified doctor whom I liked alot. I am looking forward to finding a doctor who puts patient care before a dollar. I know there are plenty out there.

thanks again for your advice and support...
have a great day!
Sharon

·
Registered
67 Posts
My urologist does not participate in any insurance programs, including Medicare. They will file the paperwork, but after that it is the patient's problem.

My insurance company reimburses me 80% of their allowable even though I am in an HMO.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I can't imagine a rheumy who is worth his salt not wanting to see you on a regular basis. My doc schedules me routinely every 3 months, as long as things are going well and then every other month when not.

Why haven't you been to him in a year? I don't understand. I also feel that he was not aware of your calls and might appreciate knowing how you were treated. After all, it takes only 1 patient with a bad experience to impact his whole practice. I work at a hospital and am aware that one disgruntled patient will tell approximately 10 people about their unpleasant experience and they'll tell 10, who'll tell 10 and pretty soon you've lost your patient base.

I agree with your husband, write this doc a letter, certify it and mark it confidential. Hopefully his staff will respect him enough that they will let the letter go through unmolested.

Good luck on the pregnancy sounds like you have an excellent OB/GYN.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi,:)
I feel that you were treated unfairly! I lost my first rhuemy because he went to cash only patients and I simply could not afford $400 an office visit. He was fabuluos and by far the best rheumy I have had to date.
I know my rheumy wants to see me before she does anything and I do mean anything. She is the "strictest"(for lack of a better word) I have had. I am not sure it is a good thing though.:hehe:
I think you will find a rheumy who will take insurance and will be willing to work with your ob-gyn. Congratulations!!!:eleph:

Take Care,
Becca

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Becca,

Thanks for your good wishes!

The disturbing part was that I spoke to him personally and he said he wanted me to go for the bloods first, and then we'd talk when I called him in a few days. He never asked me to come into the office!! ( I assumed I'd be following up in the office several times during my pregnancy.) I even asked his nurse if he wanted me to come in, and she just told me to call back.

He should be happy that I've been healthy for the past year.

Well, theres a first for everything...I've never been broken up with by a doctor before! lol :hehe:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts