TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mind you here in Indiana we don't have earthquakes very often and they are kind of a shake big enough to rattle things but not hurt anyone, and every time this has happened I have never felt it. This time the ONE hour I fall asleep the earthquake happens and I don't feel a thing.:hehe: People are calling the local news about feeling the earthquake, the news is on for an extended time because of the phenomena. One lady even called in to say her dog went and hid just before the earthquake happened. It was 5.4 on the richter scale, not huge but big for this area. Well, this will keep the state buzzing for awhile. Last night it was a military plane that was dropping flares and accidentally went through the sound barrier and caused a sonic boom! That was occupying the news for some time...one lady thought there was an attack from outer space. Whew, ok settle down, military, although there isn't a military base nearby and now they promise to announce when they are testing because it is frightening to see flames falling from the sky and then hear that boom:eek:. Well, hopefully we will all be able to settle down now and have a peaceful weekend.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Felt it here, Karly!

I have been awake since about 4:40 Central time.

I awoke to feel and hear the ceilings, walls, my bed, and the metallic wall hanging above my bed shaking madly! I heard glass shattering....and a general clanking sound. Never been so scared in my life. I got up, went to the front door and looked out. Our dog Ira was huddled up by the front door and, for once, the annoying yip yapper was barkless.

I expected to see rain or lightning but nothing. So I went down the hall and back to my bed and put my hands on the wall decor to try to get it to stop shaking. Within a couple of seconds all was still except for me who was still shaking madly. I am guessing it lasted 30-40 seconds. At about this time, Devin burst out of his room and said "Mom! I think we just had an earthquake!" We walked back down the hall outside of Ross' bedroom where Ross lay with the covers pulled up to his chin and his eyes wide open. Ross reported "Maybe it was a giant elephant stomping his feet." LOL (Ross is my 18 yo son with autism).

No damage except a couple of pictures whose glass we heard breaking. About 20 minutes later the local news reported that the earthquake registered 5.4 on the Ricter scale--no known injuries. It was centered in West Salem IL--about 40 miles from Flat Rock where we live.

I have never been so scared in my life! IT was quite an experience.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I woke up this morning during the quake, but wasn't awake enough to realize exactly what it was at the time. It woke my daughter up and she was really too terrified to move, thought someone had driven a car into the house:hehe: . Louisville looks to be a mess downtown, I guess that is to be expected with all the old brick and mortar construction there. Thankfully nothing broke here though. Scariest thing I hear on the news was from a semi truck driver who was in the process of going through a curve in the road when the quake hit, he said the truck lost traction and started going straight, wouldn't turn, and nearly went off of the road :eek: Glad there wasn't heavy traffic then.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey my Mom felt the earth quake this morning she said her bed was shaking, and then she felt an aftershock at work they were in a meeting and the table started shaking. there's a lot of glass in the library where she works so that was kind of scary. Hope it is over now. Karly:wink2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts