The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been on a 'healthy eating plan' with Weight watchers for about 5 months now and although generally I eat quite well (lots of salad!) I've been having a problem lately.
I reduced my steroids down to 4.5 mg about a week ago and have found that no matter what I eat, I never feel 'satisfied'. It's not that I'm hungary - I know I'm not, can't remember how often I let myself actually get hungary - but I just NEED to eat!
When I spoke to my Dr about this on my last visit, he said I need to reduce my calorie intake by half and let myself go hungary but I'm finding this easier said than done because of this need to chew. :worried:

Any advice?
Thanks,
Amanda

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Amanda,

I'm probably not much use here as I'm not a great one for dieting!

I'm sure you already have good advice from weight watchers but I'll tell you what works for me.

I'm not terribly overweight but did recently decide to change my already relatively good eating habits into very good ones.

My problem, as for many people, was mainly portion size. I had got used to eating rather big portions. The problem is, it is easy to say "reduce portion size" but very hard to do. You are just plain hungry.

In the end it was actually being away in Ireland for a while that helped me. While there we were in and out of hospital visiting my Dad and getting quick easy meals in between. Now quick easy meals for me means anything I don't have to cook, so, like you, salad. The inbetween bits I was determined not to go for chocolate and so bought fresh smoothies. Now, you have to understand here that I absoultely hate fruit. Not the taste, I'm just not a pick up an apple person. But I do LOVE smoothies. Anyway, I found that these smoothies were removing any hunger pangs.

Once I got home I decided to continue my good resolutions and have kept on cutting and mixing fruit for myself. I find that smoothies (or nice green soup in winter) stop me being hungry but don't sit heavily on me.

I have only lost a little weight (my activity levels are still too low) but I have noticed huge advantages with digestion as I seem to suffer from gastroparesis and constantly felt bloated and full. All that fruit has made that go away, so even if the weight loss has been minimal, I feel so much lighter and better in myself.

I used to miss chocolate and had cravings for it. I can now watch someone eat it next to me and not even want any but I do miss fruit, raw carrots and other veggies etc. if I don't have my usua amount. I sound terribly boring don't I? :rotfl:

Anyway, I doubt there's anything there that you're not already doing and as I say I am not a great diet expert.

Katharine

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Amanda,

What about using chewing gum to help with that need to chew!

(((Katherine))) - beware of those smoothies (even homemade ones) - they are very high in calories and full of lots of sugar. Possibly more calories than a small chocolate bar! Reports say that a shop purchased smoothie has more calories etc than a can of soda (fizzy drink).

Other than that I cant really give much advice except nibble of raw veggies, drink 1/2 pint water 10 minutes before a meal - helps fill your stomach up, eat little and often instead of 3 meals a day.

Take care!

Lesley

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hahaha, yep Lesley don't worry, I'm careful of what I put in my smoothies and there's certainly no added suger (but of course there is the sugar naturally there in the fruit).

You're quite right though, the content is very important. I have a couple of excellent recipe books that give the values and calorie contents of what you're making.

Katharine

·
Registered
646 Posts
No no no no no! No chewing gum. That'll just make you more hungry I've bee told.

I was told that the chewing of the gum (or any chewing) sends messages to the brain that you are eating food. The brain then sends messages to your stomach to produce the acid used to digest food. The acid will then either eat away the food you already have... or worse start to eat away at stomach.

Can someone confirm this please?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I don't know about scientifically but chewing gum does definitely make me more hungry.

Katharine

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey Amanda

I tried weight watchers once over but found it too restrictive in the amount I could eat so ended up giving up because I was either always hungry or fed up of eating the same thing (no count). I unfortunately do like food (far too much)!

So I struggled along with my weight for ages until I changed jobs. One of the girls there (older lady) who was disabled was raving about slimming world, I think she lost something like 5 stone in the end.

So I thought I would give it a try.... I couldn't believe what I could eat. I am never hungry and I can still have the "naughty" bits without feeling bad. The support from the group and the consultant is amazing. I would certainly recommend it! It's all about a healthy lifestyle and eating and some of the recipies are great too. I have lost almost 2 stone in weight in just over a year but I did stop in the middle due to work commitments (couldn't make the meetings).

Everyone has their own way of battling the "bulge". I never used to have a problem but once I put the weight on it has been a pain to get off. This is what works for me anyway. I hope you find what works for you!

Take care

Claire

·
Administrator
10,193 Posts
Hi Amanda,

Add me to the list for smoothies. I make my own with the fruit I would have eaten during the day anyway. Usually I use 2 or 3 fruits, some milk and crushed ice. No sugar is needed. Once blended it is very filling. It is one way to get my husband to eat fruit which he normally avoids. We have both lost 5 pounds without trying because the smoothies have cut down our snacking.

Like Katherine says the portion size is part of the problem. We use salad plates instead of dinner plates. The plate looks full so mentally you think you have taken enough. Not only do you eat less but there are leftovers so you don't have to cook as many meals.

Otherwise I snack on a teaspoon of nuts or sunflower seeds, veggies or yogurt. When I am craving chocolate I eat about 5 dark chocolate raisins, just enough to get the flavor.

Keeping busy helps too. When your mind is active you don't have time to think of food. I know physically you can't be real active but mentally you can.

Good luck.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Those of you with great smoothie recipes, can you PM them to me? I'd love to have them as I'm wanting to make my own smoothies at home too. I'd also love it if you have any that can/do use pureed vegetables and still taste good ;) Maybe DD would have some veggies that way too!

Amanda, another good tip is to drink lots of water. A lot of the time, when the body is actually thirsty... it can be mistaken for hunger. If I get that "need to eat now" feeling in the afternoon hours, I'll have a big glass of water and a high fiber bar (9g fiber per serving with just about 150 calories total). That easily tides me over til supper and I find it very satisfying as well as it's a bit on the sweet side. There is NO temptation to have more than one either since 18 g of fiber would be far too much for me in one sitting! *lol*

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Amanda, I feel your pain. I'm fighting the s ame darned battle. I lost about 50 pounds a couple years ago and was holding almost steady when I had to go back on steroids earlier this year (had been off almost a year). Wow. I put on 12 pounds the first week and it didn't stop till I'd packed on the 50 I lost and a couple more. I always feel the need to eat. (I'm on Neurontin too and that has pretty much the same effect).

Three weeks ago the dr. told me I'm pre-diabetic and to start walking every day and cut out half my food intake. Ok, I started walking, even though it leaves me exhausted and I have to sleep several hours afterward. As for the food, I'm trying. Really trying hard, and I've cut back a lot. But the weight isn't budging.

I went back in for the latest lung infection this week and just cried when I saw the scales. My BP is way, way down. Probably thanks to the walking. But my weight is not.

Finally I asked if I should have lap-band surgery. (I'm 5'6.5" and weigh 180 lbs :eek:) and he stopped and shut the door and said that I should just let it rest for a bit. He said I'm nowhere near that stage and that it's obvious to him that I'm not going to lose weight until I'm off prednisone for several months. He said to start tapering seriously as soon as I finish antibiotics.

I know where all this is leading. Lots of pain and probably more fatigue (how is it possible to be tireder?) and then up on the pred and then down and then....... but maybe down the road a ways I can start losing some of this weight.

Hang in there. We'll work on it together. PM me and we'll be hungry buddies. I've got a couple of tricks that have helped me cut down my food intake. You're on a lower dose of pred than I am, maybe some of those can help. And trust me, I hear you when it comes to that feeling of needing to eat.

Weight Watchers is great, but they don't have a clue about this thing we struggle with when we're on meds.

Sunny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts