The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very aware of the fact that proper diet can make a difference to the way anyone feels - sick or not. And with lupus it is even more important to eat properly.

But I have a problem doing that when I am so tired and depressed that
a) Dont have the energy to prepare food
b) Dont have the energy to eat it if I manage to prepare it
c) Dont have the energy or inclination to go out to eat

So I end up eating something on toast or a bowl of shreddies.

My family are very protective and are always checking on me and saying 'What are you having for tea today?' (which means 'are you eating properly?) And it makes me feel guilty when I realise that a lot of the time I dont eat propely simply because I am too tired and cant be bothered.

When I am feeling ok I eat plenty of fruit, nuts, veg and a good balanced diet - but when I am tired it all goes out the window. (not literally!)

I feel that I am not doing my bit in taking care of myself but am often too tired and depressed to care, and use what little energy I have just getting through the day.

Of course it would be a little easier if there was someone here to cook/prepare meals when I cant - but am on my own so dont have that luxury!
Mind you when I think of what my life was like with my ex-husband - then having to take care of myself is a small price to pay!!;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Peapods,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I know if I didn't have my husband to cook for me, I'd be in same boat as you. Never was good at taking care of myself.

I'm wondering on the days where you are feeling okay if you could make up a big batch of chili, soup, pasta suace, etc and freeze it into single portions? Or do you have a freind(s) who would make some makeahead dishes for you? Even TV dinners or frozen entrees might be better. Do you have something like the "Meals on Wheals" program where your lunch or dinner is brought to you by volunteers? They meals are generally cheap and they bring it to your door (free company too). You could do one meal like that and have ceral, toast, etc. for the other meals. You are worth it.

Hope this helps. I completely sympathize with you.

Nutty

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Its funny, my friends parents are getting on and can no longer cook.

So we looked into food delivery. They get 10 meals for $60, delivered to their door. You just boil or nuke them and you eat.

They are low salt, diabetic balanced diets with meat veggies and starch.

Funny thing is they are pretty tasty too. A good selection of beef, chicken and veggie meals, no fish (as it doesnt do well being recooked).

Might this be an option? Its actually cheaper than lean cuisine...

Just a thought as they require no thought or effort, just pull em out of the freezer and pop-em in...ready to go in a few minutes.

Stephanie

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Cheese, eggs, milk, fruit juice or smoothie, all of these are quick and would be good in your diet.

Ready made salad from the Supermarket sometimes?
Nothing wrong with a tin of fruit either.
Just take it a little at a time.
Maybe put a banana on the Shreddies?
You sound an interesting person!
x Lola

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi peapods, boy can i relate to that. i cook supper for hubbyand then am to tied to eat myself. it got kinda bad for 2 weeks all i managed or so i thougt was opening a can of chix noodlesoup and cracters with butter. next thing i know iwas in the hospital for 6 days just got out. turns out i almost had a heart attack. but found out i have a 50% blockage in one atrery and have Congestive heard failure. i was fillling up with fluid and chix noole soup was just the thing to help me retain the fluid. once you startlooking at the labels thing have alot of sodium. i have had lupus for 23 yrs and this was the first time it has affected my organs. My heard was working at 25% not real good. sorry i rambled to long i guess my point is if you do nothing else and i mean nothing you must eat. throw some fruit in the blender. or as was suggest when you are feeling better make a big batch of something and freezes. because for me it was for me to getinto a rut ,of i am just to tired to even breath. :lol: i will take a look in my lupus cookbook and see if i can get you some VERY EASY thing to make. even if you just eat allitle bit sometime i eat 5or6 times a days. OH protien drinks are good too and ther are some good ones out there. sooooo happy eating take care Sue
email me anytime i am always here and a long as my finger are working i will reply:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions - have taken it all onboard.

One thing it has made me realise is that I have been getting in a rut of self pity cos I have been so tired. There are things I can do - like batch cooking - trouble is that when I feel ok cooking i the last thing I want to do! Then when I am too tired to cook I get angry and feel sorry for myself!

So maybe I your comments have provided a much needed bit of a kick up the bum! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey, I have the same problem. Most of the time I only manage a slice of toast and im worried about the lasting effects on my heart and general health. Im gonna try and add smoothies to my diet as they shouldn't be too harsh on my stomach and quick to knock up (meaning buy) :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts