The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Along with all the blood tests I have had taken since diagnosis, the above are a couple of tests also requested by my Rheumatologist.

I have had the Echocardiogram (last week) explained to me to rule out damage to the heart by SLE. Results not yet known. This was requested also because I have poor pulse in both feet and neck apparently.

She has also requested EMG/Nerve Conductive Testing, and I cannot remember why she wants this. Anyone else had this done, and would know why? This is taking place in two weeks.

She has also arranged for me to attend Rheumatology Occupational Health, I dont know exactly what they can do for me, but at this juncture I will take any help or coping mechanisms on offer.

I have gone through 15 months of virtually no medical help save for my GP, to all this in one foul swoop.

I am very very impressed with my Rheumatologist, and having googled her, am rather chuffed to find she is a leading Researcher in this field.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Karen

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Karen,

The nerve conduction tests and EMG are used to assess or diagnose any problems with peripheral nerves - maybe she is doing this because of your feet/legs/hands pain etc. Do you get any pins/needles sensations, burning etc? The answers will help guide treatment decisions.

Good luck with it and also good luck with the ECG results.

You are right in that once diagnosed we are often then put through a battery of tests :)

love
Lily

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had a nerve conduction study on my arms and hands. I think it is used to rule out other conditions like carpal tunnel and it will help the diagnosis process.

Good luck with it all, hope you get some answers soon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I had my Nerve Conductive Tests, and abnormalities were found.

Diagnosis I was given Peripheral Neuropathy. This was explained very well to me, and is as a direct result of my SLE.

Treatment, well there is none per se, it is the Lupus that has to be managed, thereby hopefully preventing the PN from progressing further.

Consultant is recommending to my Rheumatologist that maybe I should be on immunosupressants, so we shall what she thinks when I see her again in 6 weeks.

As I mentioned in this original thread, I had an Echochardiogram a few weeks ago, there were no abnormalities found here.

Have to say it is a tad overwhelming from no answers to a lot in quick succession, and my jigsaw is fitting together in my mind nicely.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Karen,

Sorry that abnormalities were found however it is very nice when the pieces of the puzzle your trying to put together finally fit and start to make sense. The doctor may prescribe you something for nerve pain (neuropathic pain) or maybe nothing at all. It depends on how you present clinically and what your degree of issues are.

I wish you luck moving forward and keep us posted.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
It may be time to get a neurologist involved in your care also. That way you will have a two prong approach with both a rheumy and neuro looking for answers to keep things in control.

Hopefully you next rheumy appointment isn't too far away. The sooner you can start a new regime the better.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts