The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I hope this is the correct spelling, can any one tell me what this involves ? have you had this done ? i am having one on the 1st july and am a little worried:worried: thanks
june

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi June :)

I presume its just the standard echo you are having done? There are a couple of different types but the most common one is simply an ultrasound scan which just uses a type of jelly over the chest area and moves the transducer around the chest wall, etc. Much like the way a scan is done while you are pregnant actually. I had one done about two years ago and it was a doddle. You just lie back and relax. Sometimes you can see the heart muscle on the screen (depending on whether the nurse has the screen turned away from you or not!) I found that interesting to look at.

There are other types like a stress echo which they usually do before and after stressing your heart either by exercise or by giving you medication to make your heart beat faster. I would imagine its the first type though as thats certainly the most common.

Its really a simple test and nothing to be scared of.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on. I hope it turns out okay. Mine did :)

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi June, I have had several echos done . It's basically just like an ultrasound. It's a scan to see your heart . It's completely painless and doesn't take long.

Mine turned out fine, hopefully yours will too.

Good luck for July..

Love n hugs Wendy xxx

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Everyone, I think i have the wrong name for this proceedure, i have already had the scan with the gel, when i did my treadmill test i failed it ,because when i walk i get a dull pain in my chest and under arm. All i know at the moment is i have to have a chat with a nurse on a ward the week before, then just go in for the day. They said there was a finding in the reading which my indicate a valve problem :eek:
june

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi June

Im sorry to hear you are having some heart valve problems. It sounds like it might be a transesophageal echocardiogram which can be done to check the heart valves and see how well they are working. This is done by passing a probe down the esophagus but you would be given a sedative to make this comfortable.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/echocardiogram

I havent had this done myself but I guess it is something similar to the process of getting an upper endoscopy (scope down the throat) and I had that done before. I dont remember anything about it because the sedative just knocked me out.

Make sure you ask the nurse all the questions you need answered. Get her to explain the test and how it will be administered, etc.

Someone else might have some experience of the test and be along soon.

Luv n stuff

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joandublin;512144 said:
Hi June

Im sorry to hear you are having some heart valve problems. It sounds like it might be a transesophageal echocardiogram which can be done to check the heart valves and see how well they are working. This is done by passing a probe down the esophagus but you would be given a sedative to make this comfortable.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/echocardiogram

I havent had this done myself but I guess it is something similar to the process of getting an upper endoscopy (scope down the throat) and I had that done before. I dont remember anything about it because the sedative just knocked me out.

Make sure you ask the nurse all the questions you need answered. Get her to explain the test and how it will be administered, etc.

Someone else might have some experience of the test and be along soon.

Luv n stuff
Thanks Joan, i will make a list of questions, and will let you know how it go's
regards june

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coronary angiography

Hello All, This is the procedure i am having done:( has any one had this done ?
thanks
june

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
June,

I hope all goes well on the 1st, take care!

Love Lesley

1 - 9 of 9 Posts