TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse me while I rip the skin from my legs..lol :)

Now that I can add eczema to the list of ailments this pregnancy has brought on...

Does anyone have a home remedy for relief? Doctor prescribed steroid cream for it, but trying not to use it too often-

A friend of mine tells me her friend uses diaper rash cream, which sounds logical since it has zinc in it-

Any ideas?
Sharon

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi Sharon
You really are going through a bad patch these days ((( Sharon))). I suppose it really is eczema and not that pregnancy itching I vaguely remember hearing about.
I use diaper cream often to relieve all sorts of irritations and sores. It can't hurt. There are all sorts of OTC soothing aqueous lotions and creams plus some non steroidal prescription creams. My daughter has found evening primrose oil preferably with borage, very helpful.
Sarna anti itch lotion might help, as might after sun lotions with menthol or lidocaine although I am not sure if they are used for eczema.

How is your little boy ?

I hope you can get relief very soon
Many Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Sharon,

I had severe excema as a child then it went away during my teen years (Thank God!) only to return when I was pregnant with my first child.

I've found several things help. First, prevention is key. I don't use any lotions or soaps that have scents or perfumes. They seem to exacerbate my excema. I also lather in unscented lotion immediately after my shower while my skin is still slightly damp. It also helps if you are a daily bather to go with every other day if possible.

I like the Aveeno products with oatmeal, especially the bath soak. I have used raw oats poured under running water but the cleanup is no fun, unless you want to have breakfast while you are bathing--that's an idea..:eek:

For breakouts, I like to use an over the counter hydrocortisone cream. I used to use the Neutrogena Tar solution for a bath, but it is stinky and not much fun, but effective for severe cases.

Hope this goes away soon. I found that after my daughter was born, it became much less severe. I get just little patches of it now.

Holly

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I like Aveeno products too and my daughter used them for her daughter's eczema patches. You can put the oats in a nylon stocking fixed over a shower head or put in bath, or used like a poultice. I wouldn't use any soap at all.

Good luck again and more hugs - I have just read your further post. My daughter's eczema outbreaks are defiintely related to stress and being run down but what can a person do at times like you are going through.:eek:

:hugbetter:

Clare

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies -

Yes, I did learn that soap is the enemy...and I was using public enemy#1 !! "Ivory" - I thought it was a more "natural" soap, since I hate perfumes and dyes...Dermy said Dove moisturizing soap is the better way to go.

Holly, thanks for all the suggestions - minus the eating breakfast in the bathtub...good for us multi-tasking folks but not very appetizing :hehe: I've never had this before so hoping it goes away after baby is born.

Clare, thanks for asking, my son is improving and finally showing signs of healing! The oats in the stocking sound like a good idea..and less messy! :)

Take care,
Sharon

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just discovered Shea Butter and I LOVE it! It's supposed to be very good for eczcema as wel! as preventing stretch marks!

The kind I get is 100% organic raw shea butter... it's kind of funky at first and does need some getting used to... what it is is a blob of yellow chunks.. lol You break off a piece, rub it into your hands to heat up, and it turns into a very soft cream that you can rub right into your skin.

I use it all over, and I only need to moisturize once a day!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My son has severe eczema and we use Oilatum plus in the bath, and wash him using Aqueous Cream (it can be used as an emollient or a soap substitute). No perfume etc.

We also use Dermabase lotion that we rub on after. It seems to keep it under control a bit and stops the itching. If it does itch we use Eurax cream or Lanacane cream.

Lynda

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the tips!

I have purchased some aveeno products with lavender and oatmeal and seem to be giving relief.

Ive heard shea butter works wonders for dry skin as well, I'll keep on the lookout for the organic kind and give it a try. I've been trying to go organic as much as possible lately...not sure if it really makes a difference, but I figure the less chemicals and toxins we put in our body the better!

Have a great day!
Sharon

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dear Sharon these are all good ideas. i have allso used Vit E i just perice a pill and squeeze it on. well good luck with everything.sue
ps. i might have meet you when i was freebird. but my brain is soo foggy latey
good non itching:hehe:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts