The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am not where to start at really but here it goes.I had posted recently under living with lupus of an expierence i had while driving about 3 weeks ago.I ended up in the emergency room that day after going into what they are sure was a seizure but did not know why so they did these three test and i got them back today the last one from the nurse when she called to tell me what the EEG came back as.She said that the eeg came back in the normal range but that it does not mean i did not have a seizure.Meaning i might have but the eeg does not always show that after the fact.The other two came back in normal range also but what the heck did i happen to me out of the blue to have a siezure.

I guess what i really want to know is should i try to investigate this further with maybe a neuroligist or just wait and see if it ever happens again.Just looking for some advice to hopefully put my mind at ease.Thanks for being there for me.

Tammy

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
((((((((Tammy)))))))))) I'm sorry this has got you so worried, it's very unnerving what you went through :hug:

It is true that those one off EEG's won't always show if you are having seizures, unless of course you have seizure activity at the time. It sounds from your previous post that you did a sleep deprived EEG study at home though, is that right? If so then usually that would spot seizure activity if you were prone to it.

Whether or not you pursue this is really up to you. It may not happen again (and I sure hope it doesn't). Is it possible that whatever caused your incredibly low blood pressure at the time after the horrendous IBS pain caused the seizure?

Has your thyroid function stabilised now?

Have they checked your Vitamin D level?

What did your own GP and Rheumy say about what happened? Maybe you should tell them how much this is worrying you. They may run some other sorts of tests or at least be able to tell you they have ruled out the big stuff and to see if it happens again. I am sure if it happens again they would refer you to a Neurologist.

sending hugs,

love
Lily

·
Registered
580 Posts
hi macfamily, i just wanted you to know that i pray that this will not happen to you again. it sounds pretty scary. just showing my support and to let you know that we are here for you.:):)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
((((((Tammy))))))

what an awful scary experience for you & your daughter :sad:

I'm sorry I don't have any advice,just wanted to send you a hug & I hope it was just a one-off experience.:fingers:

I had a one-off seizure years ago & my eeg & mri were both fine too..I was concerned it would happen again for quite a while later but thankfully it didn't.

good luck tammy & please let us know how you get on.
take care
love karen x

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone

Well lily my rhueme i emailed her about what happened and she felt i should pursue it befroe the EEG i had done at the hospital.Then when i emailed her to let her know how things wernt and how i was feeling about the reulst not helping me to feel to much better at the time she said she was vert glad that it did not show anything and it was normal all the test.I just did not think that the ibs could be that bad it could cause a siezure ,but it might of been that bad i guess.I have had trouble even worse then this with it but i also had been very stressed that morning with my mil passing away sunddenly and trying to move my fil out and us into his place and getting the old place cleaned out.I.think after eading some post her that i did maybe just way over did it
I guess the thing i cannot understand and maybe i will talk to my go about it is that my blood preasure went way down and my face before everything was a real bright red and so overly warm it was unbearable and my eyes were still red like 3 hours later.Oh well i will email my rheume and see what she thinks about it.Well thanks for everything really.It sure dose make me feel much better just having so many people take time to post and im sure glad for everyone that makes it possible for us to have such a caring place to go to.

Tammy

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi TAmmy,

I agree with you TAmmy it is great to know that there are people here to can talk to ... Even though they may not have all the answers... At least we can disscuss it and that makes us feel good... Having friends is wonderful and we have a lot of them here dont we???
I am sorry you have been going through all this.. I really hope you are feeling better and this never happens again...
I used to have seisures all the time.. Have not had one in years... and I have had many EEG's and sleep EEG's... I was told I have scar tissue on the temperal lobe... I am fine now .... Blut I do know how scary all this can be for you... Take good care of yourself, and try not to worry....

Love your friend

Penny

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Tammy

Im sorry you didnt get any clear answers from the tests but its still very important that these things are investigated. I pray that you wont go through this type of event again. Hopefully that will be the first and last seizure you ever have:hugbetter:

As time goes by and (hopefully) you have no more seizure activity, you will gain more confidence and become less anxious. Right now I'm sure it still feels like such a worry.

Its time to hand this over to your Rheumy now for a decision on whether or not there needs to be any further investigations. My guess is that they may let sleeping dogs lie for now. Dont forget to make sure that your thyroid is being looked after and keep a good track on any unusual happenings.

Lots of love and hugs
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the wonderful post from everyone and yes i am at a little more ease now that things have come through the way they did with the test but yes i never know if it will happen again and i will eventually stop thinking about it so much im sure.

Lily i forgot to tell you but no my thyroid is still out of wack lol i guess you could say.He upped my thyroid meds just a little bit and has me on the regualr thryoid meds instead of the generic one.I guess it is better then the geniric med but i dont understand any of this medical stuff rofl yet.I have gainedso much wieght it is sickening but what do you do i guess but try to loose it.Thank again for the hugs and support

Tammy

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Tammy,

Getting that thyroid regulated could go a long way to helping you, I hope your doctors sort it out soon, who is looking after it for you?

Here are some of the common symptoms of underactive thyroid:

• Weight gain
  • Chronic constipation
  • Feeling cold (especially hands and feet) even on warm days
  • Low basal temperature
  • Fatigue, exhaustion and low energy (even after 12 hours sleep)
  • Slow reflexes
  • Slow, weak pulse
  • Slowness of thought processes (brain fog)
  • Indecisiveness
  • Poor memory and concentration
  • Sluggishness
  • Muscle weakness
  • Pain and stiffness in muscles or joints
  • Deepening, hoarse voice
  • Depression, mood swings and severe PMS
  • Thick, dry, coarse skin
  • Creviced, cracking skin on heels, elbows and knee caps
  • Enlarged thyroid gland
  • Lump in throat (hard to swallow)
  • High cholesterol
  • Menstrual cycle irregularities (prolonged and heavy)
  • Infertility
  • Numbness and tingling (especially in hands and face)
  • Fluid retention (swelling of face and feet)
  • Brittle hair and nails
  • Hair loss
  • Shortness of breath on exertion
and some of the less common ones:

• Allergies
  • Back pain
  • Blood pressure problems
  • Breast tenderness
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Chest pain
  • Digestive disturbances
  • Dizziness
  • Dry eyes and mouth
  • Headaches and migraines
  • Irritability
  • Pale skin
  • Palpitations
  • Reduced libido
  • Skin rashes
  • Sore throat
  • Stiff neck and shoulders
  • Thinning eye brows
  • Visual disturbances
http://www.thyroid.org.au/Information/disorders.html

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Wow Lily you would be amazed how many of those symtoms i do have really.I had been told the wieght gain was one of the things that go along with it.I look like i am pregnant really with as beloated feeling i have always no matter wether i eat or not and well the brain what brain.The brain is so bad for the last year way more then ever.My hands and wrist have been so swoolen grrrrrr and the doctor never explained any of it togrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

I have had a endroconoigist as the doctor taken care of the thyroid but now he wants my family doctor to take care of the bllod work which really does not make sense since the family doctor sent me to him because he does not know much about the thyroid.I am so frustrated with doctors anymore i could scream and do not want to deal with them anymore.Sorry for the venting but been very stressful time lately i guess.Thank lily for everything .

Tammy

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
((((((((Tammy))))))))) I don't know a lot about hypothyroid but perhaps you could start another thread and get some hints from those who do. I have read it can take a bit to get it regulated in some.

I presume that you GP is just doing the bloods and sending them off to the Endo who will then adjust your medication? If that's the case then it's probably alright as long as you see the Endo regularly. If not then the Endo needs his lazy ass kicked to the curb. Maybe your GP can intervene and speak to the Endo seeing as how it seems to be causing you so many problems?

sending hugs,

love
Lily

·
11,408 Posts
(((Tammy)))

When my GP was tweaking my thyroid med, he said it would take awhile to see the effect. He would have me come in and get my T-4 test done every 6 weeks, until it was at the level he wanted.

I hope you get your thyroid straightened out soon.
Hang in there my friend,
Hugssssssss,
Lyn

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Tammy sorry ive been very busy, but just seen this and want to give you a cyber (((((((((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))))))))))

im so very sorry, this must have been scarey for you, i hope they get you checked out and all is ok, tammy, my eeg was ok, but like the neuro told me, inless its happening at the time.fingers crossed you wont have anymore

hugs Lin xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:there:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts