TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Recently, my children's pediatrician suggested Elderberry drops to help with colds and sinusitis probs they have been having. In researching it, I noticed it is also known for its anti inflammatory properties-

Just curious if anyone has tried it as an additional supplement? Or know of any pros vs cons with relation to lupus?

Thanks for any input!
Sharon

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Sharon,

Apparently it's quite effective in helping with upper respiratory infections from reading the literature. However I'm not sure how it would go with things like Lupus as it's said to be an immune stimulant (not something we really want :eek: )

Immunostimulant Sambucus may strongly stimulate the immune system through inducing cytokine production in healthy individuals as well as in patients with influenza, or in other immunocompromised patients such as those with cancer or HIV. Sambucus formulations have been shown to have a strong stimulatory effect on the production of inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines. Research reveals no clinical data at this time regarding the use of elderberry for the stimulation of the immune system.

http://www.drugs.com/npc/elderberry.html

love
Lily

1 - 2 of 2 Posts