The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

It's been a while... The Plaquenil still has not yet taken effect. Since my last post, I have had two flares, a different med. instructed by my GP to find another Rheumie, and just last night I was told to go to the emergency unit at the hospital after having severe pain in my legs (left predominantly), in the calf, knees, behind the knees, the ankle... But the pain is worse in my calf accompanied with shortness of breath. My GP thought it was possibly a "blood clot" (DVT) and told me to go straight to the hospital for an Ultrasound. However, the Hospital informed me that they do not give Ultrasounds at night???? Can you imagine this? I was told that the only thing that could be done is to have the doctor "look at it!" He asked if I wanted treatment (a shot of a blood thinner) then return in the morninbg for an Ultra Sound. I told him NO. I only wonder how much I will be charged for him to "look" at my leg.

I am still in pain, which now includes my right leg. It has become difficult to walk. My hips, everything! I just stayed home today (I am in grad school) in the bed. I didn't even contact my GP, because I am just tired of ALL physicians. They are supposed to help us, but they are the cause of most of our stress.

I don't know what's going on... I am so confused with all of this, and extremely disappointed. I am better off just trusting God, and staying medicated until a miracle happens.

Sorry for the rant and rave. I hope everyone has a better week...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Precious

I hope you are not in so much pain today. I would try to get an ultrasound on your leg as DVT is a serious condition.

I trust in the Lord, too, but He gave us the ability to make informed choices, so if there is someone able to help while you are waiting, I say go for it!

I'm sorry I can't advise on the insurance front as I'm from the UK and our NHS is free. Do you have any help with medical costs as you are a student? Could the university help out in any way? Are you a member of a professional body that has a benevolent fund (mine has)?

Thinking of you.

Love Judi xx

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Precious,

I just want to say that Judi had some good ideas. I remember, when my daughter was attending the University, she had medical insurance available to her through the school.

Best Wishes,
Sandy

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I understand where you are coming from, but you have to seek medical attention when you are in extreme pain. I would say your gp would be cheaper than the er. You can always work out payment plans when I was in college without insurance I did that with my ent.

Take Care,
Becca

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
That is upsetting to me !

That they could not do the test at night....uh emergency room is for "emergencies' and should be equipt to do such.

I would not wait - I know you are frustrated right now and had enought with doctors - but if this is a blood cot, it is very important to have it checked out.

Please don't wait and call your gp today and have him get the ultrasound right away for you.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Precious,((((((hugs))))))

I would not care how you do it, but forget school right now, your health is the one and only important thing. Call your GP and have him admit you to the hospital. Maybe a couple of days of tests might show up something? Either
way,let them know it's not pain, it's unbarable pain. Please take care, and go. :wink2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts