The Lupus Forum banner

Emg/ncs

731 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  greenhaggis 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, :)
Just looking for some advice really, ive got to go for a EMG and Nerve conduction study on friday on my arms and legs :worried: I am starting to get a little anxious about it, ive read about what happens eg needles, electrical currents etc but just wanted some personal experiences if possible? so i know what to expect pain wise etc? Thanks for reading, i look forward to your help, thanks,
bex ;)

#2 ·
Hi Bex,

It is understandable to be a little nervous when it is a test you haven't had before, especially when they mention needles. When I could feel I barely felt the needles. My doctor only uses the current until she gets a response in each area then shuts it off. It is only a slight discomfort that ends as quick as it comes. On the nerve you will feel a quick zap and your feel a little jump as the nerve responds. The muscle actually constricts and then relaxes. I find the more I can relax the easier it is. My neuro usually get me talking and it is over before I know it.

Good luck with your test.

Take care,
Lazylegs

#3 ·
I haven't had this test, but friends who have describe it as a little uncomfortable but not actually painful. I was told at St. Thomas' that the test can be inconclusive so did not go ahead with it. I guess I am trying to say please don't put all your hopes on it.
x Lola

#5 ·
Hey Bex,

I've had multiple EMGs done over the past couple of years...There's really absolutely no reason to worry! I know when I heard about the electricity etc before I had my first emg I was slightly panicky, but I ended up happily chatting away with the nurses and neurologist during the whole thing and felt no pain, no discomfort, nothing!

My EMGs are always done with tiny needles being inserted just under the skin, instead of surface electrodes, but I kind of think of it like acupuncture as the needles being inserted don't hurt at all....

Hope your test goes well!! Let us know how you get on!

Zoi

#6 ·
hi, thanks for all your replies
well i had it done and it was fine :lol: not painful really at all, just like little electric shocks, was quite funny actually to see my arms and legs moving all by themselves,:rotfl: i suffer from involuntary nerve twitches anyway so it just felt like those.
The Doc had to warm my hands and feet up first with blankets as they were freezing, like normal! he said he hadnt met anyone with such cold hands before! even with the blankets they didnt warm up haha! :hehe:
Just wait for the results now i guess
Thanks for your reassurance it really helped :)
x x x

#7 ·
Bex,

I so glad the tests were okay in the end!

When do you get your results?

Love Lesley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.