The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

I received my appointment for an EMG and Nerve Conduction Study on the 29th of this month. My question is has anyone else had these studies done and what should I expect? I'll probably be sorry I asked! I have the factual information on the tests. I just want to know how much those needles hurt in the muscles! :lol:

The tests are to try and figure out about the tingling and numbness in my left hand and arm which, incidentally, has improved tremendously since my physio exercises and wrist splints. Typical! :rolleyes:

Cheers
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had them both done last year and they were fine!! :) Wierd sensation but not painful:) Really nothing to stress about. :) Just like little acupuncture needles.
Hope it goes well
Rachel
xxx

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Joan,

I have had the tests done three times. It is just a pin prick..at the worst like a slight bee sting. It looks much more painful than it really is...Don't worry. I distract myself while they insert the needles. I am usually, having a discussion with the person doing the test..

Take Care,
Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Rachel and Sandy :foryou:

Its always good to hear straight from the horses mouth! Thanks again

Luv n stuff

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hiya,

Yep, I had them done a couple of months back. They're not too bad. It's the sort of pricking pain which is defintely not nice but which you can mentally convince yourself is not there :rotfl: - If you follow that you follow anything :lol:

In short, you've seen far worse!!

Katharine

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
hi Joan

I have had many studies done as I have senori-motor axonal neuropathy, which was dx through and followed by nerve studies.

I second what other posters have said - I hardly notice the little needles, they are just tiny pricks and tingles as they run the current through.

best of luck with it all

raglet

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that Katharine and Raglet :foryou:

I appreciate hearing your experiences. After this test I am aiming to remain a 'poke-free' zone for at least a couple of months!

Cheers again

·
11,409 Posts
Hi Joan,

I didn't have the needle part done just the tingle part. It wasn't that bad. My imagination of it was far worse.:wink2:

I must of had a look of terror
on my face though. The doctor keep telling me it isn't that bad, don't worry.:lol: He was right too.:hehe:

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
201 Posts
Joan, I too had these done before but only on my upper extremities. ten years ago i had one and it was awful, very painful. I did however have it done after a night shift. I think pain is different when you have been up all night :sad: .

Last year i had another in the office ( different doctor too ), it was not bad at all and over quickly. i wonder if it isnt standard practice to use smaller needles than they did before. Or, it could be the technique. when injections are given a " good shot " depends on the quickness of the person performing the injection. If a nurse comes at you really slowly you can expect it to hurt a lot more :wink2: .

Hope yours is quick and painless! Lisa

·
Registered
353 Posts
Joan

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. ((((((hugs)))). I just had the nerve studies done about 2 weeks ago. They are getting away from the needles now. They are stemulately the nerves now. I asked the technetion about it. This newer version is not quite as bad as the old one. One thing to remember is that it only takes a few seconds and the pain stops as soon as they stop sstimulating. My legs were quite sore for a few days after. I don't have the results back yet. (thursday) I should know something. I found that one leg wasn't bad at all. The left leg was the worse. I had a small amount of brusing but that is because I am on blood thinners. I was told that with the newer precredure is alot better because there are no needles involved. I have never had acupucture so I don't know how it feels. There is some pain involved but try not to dwell on it. If it gets too bad tell the technian, they can give you something for it.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out.

always Lou

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Lou, the very first nerve study I had done over ten years ago was like that - they held a thing against various parts of my leg then passed a current through the various nerves.

Personally I found it a lot more painful than the needles as I find the needles pretty much painless.

Hope that next time for me they are still using the needles

thanks for the info

raglet

·
Registered
353 Posts
Raglet

Thank you for responding. I have nothing else to base what I know. It is always nice to know both sides of anything we do.

Joan hope things go well for you which ever test they do. Please let us know. Knowledge is always good.

Lou

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi,

Have had this test numerous times. On a scale of one to ten for pain I would give it a 2 or maybe a 1. Have had upper and lower done numerous times. It gives the doc very importnat info. Example my most current one showed that I had mostly nerve damage instead of perifal neuropathy as they thought before. Still have both but will be treated for both instead of just one. I go on new meds in about a week. This news will help me with my overall pain. I have had this test thru out various parts of my body for at least 15 yrs. After the first time (was scared) had no problem after that.

Best of luck
Elaine

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your experiences.

Lou, from the leaflet information I received from the hospital it looks like they do two sets of procedures - one is the electrical current thingy and the other is the needle thingy.

Elaine thats great that the study helped them define the problems. I hope the new meds help. I guess thats just my worst fear - going through these tests and then not really getting any conclusive answers. Like I said the tingling and numbness is heaps better since the physio and splints so I'm beginning to wonder if this test isn't just a waste of time. Ah well....

I will definitely report back and let you all know how it went.

Thanks again.

Luv n stuff

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Joan,

I have also had these tests performed and I didn't feel any pain from them. I did ask the lady that performed the tests if I should have felt some pain. She told me that some feel pain while others did not. She felt that some people who come in extremely nervous, then your muscles tense and that doesn't help. So, I guess, just try and stay relaxed and don't go into the test feeling stressed. If it would make you feel any better, I found it very relaxing. Good luck and I wish you the best.

Nancy

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well Folks

Im back from my nerve conduction study and still alive :wink2: :bigsmile: It wasnt too bad actually. I guess the pain and discomfort was pretty much what one would expect having your muscles electrified and needles stuck in them :lol:

Anyway I dont have any results. Of course Im not at all convinced its Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and I said as much to the Neuro Consultant (not a wise move by the way;) ). At one stage she said 'Hmmmm there is a bit of evidence of carpal tunnel here' - not sure if that was for my benefit or not though! :) After all she was the one with the qualifications..... ;)

Anyway, other than that the results will be reported for my Rheumy visit in May but I am seeing the ortho doc in two weeks time and I figure he will have the results by then so I should have a better idea.

By the way, they kept asking me if my right hand was alright and I said it was absolutely fine. On the way home in the car my right hand went numb with loads of pins and needles! Murphy's Law!

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had an EMG and Nerve conduction test two years ago and found it to be very painful. I had it on all four limbs. The EMG (needles) didn't hurt at all. It was the nerve conduction test that really hurt. Also, it was my initial consultation visit so I had no idea I was getting the test done. They didn't see anything on mine because it can only test large nerve fibers and my neuropathy is in the small fibers. I'm glad it wasn't too bad for you!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Joan,

Have had these test more times that I can remember. On a scale of 1 to 10. One being the lowest I would give it a one. Don't worry this test also does not last that long. First time I had it done...I was scared...realized it was over nothing. If you are still concerned ask doc if they can give you something to take the edge off.

Elaine

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I am glad it is over Joan and it wasn't too bad. I wonder if they can always tell the difference between lupus caused CTS and the regular sort. Quite a few cases of lupus started with what was diagnosed as Carpel tunnel and operated on, to no avail.

:)

Hugs
Clare

1 - 20 of 26 Posts