TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, hope you are all doing okay.
I've got to have an endoscopy on March 2nd to check on how the barretts is doing. I'm worried because my gastro doc said I needn't stop the warfarin, he said they will just check the INR a few hours beforehand, my INR is running a little high at the moment because I'm on another course of antibiotics for an ear infection. I'm expecting another day of anxiety for something that won't take place!!
I'm still waiting for another appt with gynaecologist, they are waiting for previous gynae to send information about ultrasound test results before they can decide on what to do.

Keep you posted
love angied

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Angie,
Sorry I haven't got any answers for you. I was going to post about the endoscopy myself. I will be having one done in mid March. I am nervous about it too, because I've never had one before, so I can understand you being nervous about the med you take. My gp said it wasn't bad but he didn't tell me much about what to expect, he said the doctor who will be doing it will explain more about it. I hope it all goes well for you. When you have yours, please let me know how it goes for you. Maybe someone will come along who will be able to offer you some answers.
Take care,
Mary

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Mary, thanks for your reply.
I've had an endoscopy once before, in 2006.
I suffer with anxiety & panic attacks so I opted for the throat spray which numbs the throat & the sedation which puts you in a bit of a dream-like state I suppose. I remember the throat spray & swallowing to aid the scope going down and having a mouth piece in my mouth which the doctor will feed the scope through but nothing afterwards until I was in recovery.
I didn't get a sore throat afterwards which some people report, I ate a late lunch (corned beef sandwiches) with no problem .
But saying all that though , I am still very nervous about tomorrow.
I wasn't taking warfarin then. My anti coagulation clinic have helped, I told them I was having the procedure & they have lowered my warfarin so that I will be below my target & I restart the warfarin tomorrow evening.
Good luck with your endoscopy I'm sure you will be fine.
I'll let you know how things went.
Bye for now .
Love Angied

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,

Don't worry about the endoscopy - It really isn't that bad!!

Having said that, I will have to have one again soon and am certainly not looking forward to it!

I had one, possibly 15 - 20 years ago - no anaesthetic offered on that occasion - I was just told to 'swallow it' !!

It didn't hurt but I remember it made me 'burp' uncontrollably and quite loudly, for which I kept trying to apologise, (difficult with a tube down your throat - tee hee !!)

The very worse thing I remember was the taste of Vaseline which they must have put on it to help it to slide down and it 'lingered' for several days.

I am sure it is much better nowadays so try not to worry.

Dea x

·
LupusLyn
49 Posts
Hi Angie,

I have probably had at least 12 endoscopies, ERCP (that's where they look further down and into the bile ducts), and endoscopic ultrasounds. ERCP is a way that they can open bile and pancreatic ducts if they are not working properly.

Only one time did I remember anything about the procedure and that was very little. I always tell them to make sure I don't feel anything or gag on the tube, and then they give me a little extra meds to put me in a deeper "sleep." :faint:

I'm sure you'll do very well, and hopefully it will give you some answers. So don't worry! :tuttut:

I'll say a prayer for you!

Good luck!

Lyn

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Best of luck ((( Angie )))
Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Like Lyn, I am the queen of Endoscopies and I have not remembered anything at all about the procedures. You wake up and are hard pressed to even believe anyone was down your throat with a tube. Good Luck and let us know the outcome.
I will be thinking of you tomorrow.;)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I have also had a lot of these done. My suggestion to having it go easy is to take your Ipod, walkman, or whatever. Play calm, soothing music or motivation tape, cd, or whatever you have. I find that the biggest problem for me is when the doctor and asst talk and they are right by my ears. It zaps me out of the sedation immediately. Once I figured that out, I would use a meditation tape and tell them to be very quiet talking. I use this for bronchoscopy too. It makes a huge difference for me!

The thing in the mouth is a "bite block" used to prevent the jaw from closing on the tube. If the one they use is too wide, then tell them to either move it more forward or use a smaller one. Having the jaw open too wide can cause tmj issues to flare.

Good luck.....I'm sure it will go ok.
Sally

·
Administrator
7,565 Posts
Hi Angie

I hope the procedure goes well for you, and doesn't cause you any problems. Let us know how you get on.

Deb

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi, I have had 3 endo's. All 3 went well...slept right thru them. The worst part was the anxiety before. pray all goes well. Rose

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well , I had it done & I must say it was terrible.
I don't know whether they sedated me as much as St Thomas' did. I was wide awake all the way through & I was gagging for England!
My gastro spoke to me about the fact he couldn't see any sign of the Barretts, he visualised a 2cm hiatus hernia which I already knew about.
He also told me the second part of my duodenum didn't look quite right. He said the mucosa was a little flat & mentioned coeliac (my late dad had coeliac disease) he took 4 biopsies of the duodenum & I have to wait for the histology report.
The good news is that there is no need for any more Barrett's surveillance.
I'm aching all over & so tired ,I didn't sleep much last night.

Thanks for all the replies.
Love Angied

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Angie,

I am sorry you had such a rough time this time around :hugs:. It sounds like a day or two of extra rest is in order.

Let us know when you get the results back.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'm sorry to hear it went poorly for you. I hope they find some answers from the procedure at least.

Mine I remember gagging initially and then remember *nothing* after that. I told him I had a terrible gag reflex and wanted maximum numbing spray and high sedation though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts