The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had problems with episcleritis? I have had it three times now in the past three months, but this time there is more pain in my eye and my head. My optometrist wants me to see my gp today about it, and if I can't get in, I'm to go the on call ophthalmologist. It's so weird that all of these things seem to be surfacing all at once. And it all seems to be happening in my head. First the severe butterfly rash, then episcleritis, then periodontal disease, grrrrrr!!! Will the plaquenil help all of these things?

·
11,410 Posts
(((MsHutch)))

You have to much on your plate. I am sorry that you are dealing with another problem.

I would think seeing your ompathalmologist would be a good when dealing with your eyes.

This is what I found out about episcleritis.

Inflammation of the membrane covering the white part of the eye (episcleritis). Episcleritis may cause sudden eye discomfort or redness. Treatment may include eye lubricants, corticosteroid eyedrops and anti-inflammatory medications.
It sounds painful.:eek:

I found it here.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/rheumatoid-arthritis/AN01485

Please let us know how you are doing.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
2 Posts
episcleritis

I had episcleritis 8 times in 2 years! I was told by my consultant that every time it started I was to go to eye casualty. I did this and was prescribed steroid drops each time which always worked, but they told me that the condition is actually self limiting anyway so it would have gone away on its own. I would still prefer to stop it as soon as possible though as it was so painful and I worried that it would cause long term damage.
I'm glad to say that I haven't had an attack now for about 6 years.
I hope yours clears up soon. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I did get in to see my gp and he prescribed fluorometholone drops. He also suggested I keep the appointment with the opthamologist, which I did. He didn't find any serious problems and advised me to continue the drops. My eye is feeling much better today, but still red, so I guess we'll see how long it takes to clear up. It's just frustrating, but I am keeping track of how often it appears.

Thank you everyone for your replies,

Colleen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.