The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has had luck taking baths with epsom salts, or if I just had a fluke.

I had been feeling MISERABLE all week... Today I was feeling somewhat better, but not great. Still lots of aches. I took a bath with epsom salts, and I'm feeling much much better. Obviously, this will be a hypothesis I have to test and retest before I believe it... But, has anyone else had positive results?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi

Thanks for reminding me.

I did a bit of research a while ago as I used the paste you can buy in the chemist 'magnesium sulphate' which is the other name for epsom salts to draw out a splinter in my foot.

I read that a paramedic said it can be used for most things.

Following is link which is basic but if as I said you google then its quite an interesting read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_sulfate

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wow Nicky - I knew that Epsom Salts was a well known remedy for aches and pains - and I have used them for this purpose for many years - but all those other benefits - I'm stocking up!

Merle

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
:)

I haven't used them myself but it is a very old relaxing and soothing remedy for the end of a tiring day anti inflammatory I guess. It is an ingredient of "bath cubes" which were highly scented coloured cubes that dissolve in the bath, the sort of cheapo thing you might give as a pressy to a woman you had to buy a gift for. I have a vague memory too of " Make Your Very Own Bathcubes" figuring in the lists of useful things do to of a rainy Sunday afternoon when you have finished weaving your own pinny from the bits of wool you gathered from the hedgerows in the warm summer days.

My Grandma had some but I thought she drank it or soaked her dentures or something like that. Good old fashioned stuff.
You might want to fling in a few drops of lavender essential oil.

:)

Clare

·
Registered
893 Posts
Merle

Its my quest to get some and as Claire said the lavender in the bath good too.
I get my lavendar from Neals Yard, they have 3 types, French & English and one organic. Not cheap but worth it.
I like smelling them in turn to see which one I perefer.

Claire, I feel a thread coming about things that come from hedgerows and old fashioned rhemedies.

I might start one with ' Pink Healing Ointment':)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Epsom Salts is something that started in my family way back with my great grand mother and I swear by it. I was an athlete my entire life up until the age of 25 when I got pregnant with my dear son. I was always soaking in epsom salts and like Elizabeth, I swear by it. Old remedies really do work well.

Funny the mention of Lavendar here as I have a Linen spray I use on my sheets. Every morning once I make the bed I spray the sheets and I swear it helps with a good night sleep.

Not only does it help keep sheets fresh in between changing them but it also leaves the room filled with the lovely scent of Lavendar which I happen to love.

While in France in 2006 and walking through fields of Lavendar it was then that I started my love affair with this beautiful smell.

So the moral to the story, YES USE THE EPSOM SALTS ELIZABETH.

Hope your feeling better.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ahhhhh now your all talking my language. I studied aromatic medicine (Science of essential oils) at Uni!! This is my passion!!! :rotfl:

Lavender does indeed have therapeutic properties that have been rigorously tested. As with most essential oils it has antimicrobial properties. Predominantly against strep and staph bacterium, excellent for skin infections; (was fantastic on my itchy rash) but it also affects sleep and cognition. :)
BUT, and its a big but, people often use too much and when they do it can have the opposite effect e.g. keep you awake all night and thats why people think it doesnt work :eek:

So heres a tip. Only use 4 drops in the bath. Mix the oil in a little milk first (this act like an emulsion and pulls it through the water - gets to your skin better) NEVER put vegitable (carrier oil) oil in the bath, not only is it horrendous to clean but it make the bath VERY slippery. :(

If you want to use it in the bedroom, put one or two drops on a tissue, not on the pillow. You should only just be able to smell it. If it smells strongly, its too much and wont work.

Lavender is purported to be a very safe essential oil. It shouldnt cost a fortune and dont be miss led by expensive synthetics. Angustifolia is the best in my opinion.

Happy smelly bath days everyone :hehe:

PS - Im getting the epsom salts in tomorrow too. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The epsom salts I was bathing in were actually infused with lavander. :) It was what my husband happened to pick up from the pharmacy, but they smelled pretty teriffic. I was actually using them initially for an infected finger, but instead of making a cup of them to soak in, I made a whole bath. I enjoy baths.

And I still feel good today! I really hope it was the salts... I'd like to be able to repeat this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When ever I am feeling really bad, my legs are hurting and hips are aching I take a bath with epsom salts, I have some with lavender. I know I will feel better afterwards, but getting the energy to get in is always my problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.