1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes, Yhe EBV does have a link to Lupus! At least as far as I can see with research I do on my own! Hope this is helpful!
Laura(LWL2002):)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Nicky,

I haven't read right through the articles, but will later. They have recognised for a fair while now that Epstein Barr can kick off an autoimmune response in some individuals. I know from personal family experience though that it can go the other way and predispose some to cancer.

I consider I had my first serious flare of Lupus at age 16. Then things settled down a lot during my 20's and I had few troubles. About a year after the birth of my second child I got Epstein Barr (age 30) and things went downhill from there gradually over ten years until I was finally diagnosed. It could have been that the childbirth and the EB woke my Lupus up. I don't feel it was just one factor, but I did have it there ásleep' :wink2: some 14 yrs prior anyway.

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Good morning:

I had mono at 16 - allergic to pennicillin so was treated with Eurethrmycin

I developed Epstein barr at 24 - they told me it was due to the mono and treatment used for it??? Don't know how true as back then they didn't know much about EBV

I was DX and had surgery for ovarian cancer at 34 - although I was told at the time these weren't related (I am beginning to wonder)

I developed SLE/SCLE at 43 and some other AI stuff has been showing up too.

I do wonder if there is a connection to all of this. Other than this I have had a pretty healthy life??

Interesting thread - Stephanie

·
Registered
467 Posts
howdy all

as many of you, i had mono at 16, was down 3months, dr said it shouldn't have been that long but it was. never quite recovered completely. when i was in my early 20s is when i first knew i was sick and was diagnosed with EBV and from there went down hill, lost my sight twice for about a week each time so they thought ms then finally came to the conclusion of lupus now with cns problems.
wouldn't surprise me in the least that they are somehow intertwind.

thanks
hugs and kisses

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Not sure if I'm right in also calling it Glandular fever but I had this at 14 for 18 months. My health pretty much went downhill from there. Can't remember what they treated me with but it's funny that Stephanie mentioned Erythramycin as I am allergic to that as well as septrin.

HTH,

Pam x

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Pam,

From what I can gather most cases of Epstein Barr as as a result of Mononucleosis. It was true in my case. However Cytomegalovirus can be another cause. I haven't read up too much on the latter.

There's no direct reference in the following article to Lupus but it does go into the immune chaos that can follow EBV so it ties in and is an interesting read.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/963894-overview

love
Lily

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've found out after being ill for three years I have had glandular fever and CMV, now being tested for Lupus! I find it facinating it all seems to be linked!

Does anyone still suffer with flu like/glandular fever symptoms? I have felt like its come back for the last 6 weeks and been in bed on and off for a week as it calms it down a bit with rest!
sianee x

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good lord,

I also had glandular fever when I was younger...it would be so interesting to find out how many of us have had it ??????

Ellie

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi all

Another glandular fever (ie Epstein Barr) suffer! Feel ill with glandular fever in my early 20ies and was given penicillin (which made me sicker) before I was diagnosed. Thereafter I had recurrent bouts of glandular fever type illnesses and ended up having a gland biopsy for Hodgkin's lymphoma (found negative). Thirty years latter I was finally diagnosed with lupus!

It feels right that there is a connection between Epstein Barr and Lupus! Who knows?

Merle

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have never had mono and don't think I've ever had EBV (or are they the same thing?).

I did have strep throat a lot as a child and young adult and have read that it seems to be common in the history of lupus patients as well.

·
Registered
289 Posts
doodlebee;541732 said:
I have never had mono and don't think I've ever had EBV (or are they the same thing?).

I did have strep throat a lot as a child and young adult and have read that it seems to be common in the history of lupus patients as well.
Hi Doodlebee

While I don't know about any connection between lupus and strep throat, there is a definite causative connection between strep throat and rheumatic fever (which I had when I was 4).

Merle

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had mono as well as a teen, and I never really felt like I recovered from it. I have read somewhere that mono might be connected to lupus. I also have read that people that have had mono are more likely to have miscarriages later in life, so there's definitely a lingering autoimmune effect to mono.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had glandular fever really bad at 14,I had to have 6 months off school & was never the same after that,
I have always thought thats where my problems started,I happened to mention this to my lupus nurse & she said that a huge amount of her lupus patients have had glandular fever in their teens & that the rheumy team do indeed think the two things are linked but they dont as yet know why.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts