The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Brenda
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the ER because of problems with being extremely light headed, chest pain and short of breath. Not the asthma sort of short of breath, but just like it wasn't satisfying. My pulse was 110 and they kept me over night. They found the problem was my blood pressure was changing for no reason from around 160/98 to 90/50... around those areas. Every time they checked (about once an hour, and when really low.. every few minutes) it would be extremely different. Also my blood sugar has been going from really low... like in the 40's to really high, above 200. My doctor did an A1C that came back perfect though. The doctor that saw me in the hospital (this is a small town and not where my doctor practices) told me he thought it was all auto-immune related to my disease and to see my rhuematologist. I have an appointment at the end of the month, but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with these sorts of problems and what may cause them.
Thanks,

·
11,410 Posts
(((Breand)))

Sending soft gentle hugs your way.:hug::hug:

I don't have any experiences with all those symptoms combined like you have.

Could you call your rhumey and tell him what is going on, and maybe get in earlier? Have you talked to a cardiologist?

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi Brenda,

I have had symptoms similar to yours but not as severe. I received a full workup by a cardiologist. When nothing significant was found, I researched the side effects of the prescription drugs I was on and learned they could cause all of my heart symptoms. I quit the drugs and most of the heart problems subsided or disappeared. This is before I knew what autoimmune disease was and before anyone mentioned the possibility I might have an autoimmune disease so who knows if autoimmune disease may have been a factor. The blood sugar problem has been harder to alleviate and will most likely be with me permanently.

The symptoms are truly scary. I hope you get to the bottom of them soon.

Barb

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Brenda,

I've experienced the crazy jumping around of blood pressure but not the sugar levels. The BP was definitely linked to my Lupus my doc said. Something to do with my parasympathetic nervous system. It would be good if you could try and get an earlier appt with your doc.

love
Lily

·
4,445 Posts
Hiya, first time I flared I had the shortness of breath, tight chest, couldn't lay down, a facial and body rash, swollen face, joints swollen etc etc and I ended up in hospital for a week in all... other symptoms then joined in. :( My BP went low I guess due to my body vasodilating and swelling!! The pulse was 130... heart trying to keep up!! My experience doesn't sound the same as yours... but some things similar. My bloods showed a huge anti inflammatory response, went higher than if you had pneumonia, which is about as high as it gets, apparently!! I had previously had the sore joints though etc and had bloods taken by a Rheumy, this just precipitated a diagnosis..... hope you get some answers soon.XX
Claire

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Brenda, I do have similar problems, erratic blood sugar levels and erratic bp and extremely high pulse. To be honest they were investigating at one point but I got so fed up with seeing so many docs and them not knowing why it was happening that I gave up. I have just learned to live with it. Sorry as that is not much help to you, I would be interested to know if you find a cause for it. I also have wild temperature fluctuations as well and can't tolerate heat or cold.

I hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Brenda,

I do not have any issues with my blood pressure at all, never have thank god.

On the other hand my blood sugars are all over the place for some unknown reason. They never go as high as 200 but they have gone up to 150 ish.

There is no rhyme or reason for how my sugars fluctuate. I can eat the perfect meal that should sustain a normal sugar reading and yet shortly after I eat my sugars will drop quickly, sometimes down to 40.:eek::eek::eek:

I just had blood drawn 2 days ago and they are finally doing the A1CG test on me too so that we can see what I have averaged over the past months.

I do hope that your feeling better and the doctor told me to keep something in my purse at all times in case my sugars drop. I can eat it and bring it back up to normal.

Good luck and let us know how you get along.:wink2:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
This is a very interesting question. I don't have an answer for you and I have never had blood sugar tested precisely when I have felt bad but for a couple of years before diagnosis I would have "unstable" blood pressure.

When I described it as one of my "symptoms" prior to diagnosis my rheumy looked at me as if I had twenty heads. It more often went down than up (but did go up too sometimes, just not much over 150). It would suddenly shoot down to 80. Thankfully I don't faint when that happens but did write off a car :eek: Recently I have been having a few problems with it again but it seems to have stabilised again for the moment. I suspect, like Lily that it has something to do with the nervous system for me too as I do have some problems with that.

Katharine

·
Brenda
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have a follow up with my GP today to get the results of a 24 hour urine test and we will discuss it more. My rhuemy's nurse said my gp could get me in quicker if he thought I needed it so we'll talk about that, too. I'll let ya know what I find out. Sounds like a few of us could benefit from the answers. :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have had the same-similar symptoms.. I found out that I have Hashimotos thyroiditis.. and sinus tachardia (sp?) and started a very very small dose of beta blockers which 100% helped with the dizziness, racing heart and feeling light headed... as for the cold hands and the like, I will see the endocrinologist (sp?) next week some time.. good luck. I hope you find answers very soon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.