The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all :hyper:

I'll start off with:
I'm overweight and having lupus/arthritis isn't really helping me either.
I can't do any jumping around exercise and can't really run long because my knees end up hurting, but on the other hand i cant lay down on a hard surface and exercise that way !!:cry2: Unless ther are special non-hard mats i can use??

I'm at a loss here..

I'm only 18!!
I'M SO USED TO BEING FAIRLY FIT
So, does anyone here recommend any kinds of exercise, videos, gym equipment that might be of some help to me? :exercise:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Mosh,

The best exercise for doing with sore joints is swimming. If you can find a pool with extra warm water even better. Some pools may even offer a special programme for people with health problems or disabilities where you are led through exercises by a physiotherapist or trainer.

Try phoning a couple of your local swimming pools to see what they have to offer.

Alternatively at the gym, I find the cycles and the cross-trainer (moves both arms and legs) less trying on my knees than walking, as there is no shock impact through the joint.

And yes, there are pads to lie on - rather like those sleeping rolls. Have a looom in your nearest fitness shop or camping store.

All the best,

X C X

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The suggestion for water exercise is great. Here in the US, look for a pool which meets the warm water temps required by the Arthritis Foundation. Usually, large cities have at least one, if not more. If you can't do this on your own, call your local Arthritis Foundation chapter to find out which ones they have affiliation with.

If you are not able to swim well yourself, most will let you bring a "water noodle" to use for assistance. I've not found any here in the greater Seattle area that refuse to allow them. Even the private club pools allow them.

Good luck,
Sally

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, i never thought of that

That's a great idea!! both of you

I adore swimming and have a local YMCA only a few blocks from me with a very warm swimming pool :stretch:

and for the times i cannot make it to the YMCA I'm going to look into a cycle or cross trainer

THANKS!!:hug:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Mosh

Swimming is a good idea. I know when I started last year I thought my knees were going to be a problem cos they did hurt a bit when I started swimming (frogs legs beast stroke did for my knees).

Anyway, the discomfort only lasted a short while and I found it made all my joints feel a lot better every time i had been.

You have encouraged me to have another go soon. It is getting into a regular routine that is the trick.

All the best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LolaLola;530218 said:
Just wanted to wish you good luck with the exercise. Being so ill at 18 is no joke.
x Lola
Thanks so much!!
hopefully i can post my progress here to encourage more people!
right now the arthritis isn't TOO bad so I'm excited!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Just one extra thought. If you can use a hot tub after you are done swimming, it will help you avoid extremely sore muscles afterward. The jets of the hot tub give a bit of a massage to muscles that might be tight.

I know when I was doing a lot of swimming, it really helped me to avoid soreness.

Good luck, and yes, let us know how you do. So very sorry that this has hit you at your age.
Sally

1 - 8 of 8 Posts