The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone I Am Pretty New To All This And I Was Thinking Of Taking Up Cycling To Keep Me Active. Has Anyone Got Any Advice For Me On What Are The Best Exercises To Do As I Dont Want To Put To Much Pressure On My Joints And Cause A Flare.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I walk, sometimes do Senior (gentle) yoga, even though I'm not senior. There is an excercise dvd out specifically for Lupus patients I am wanting to get, but haven't yet called "the right moves for Lupus".
I think mostly though, what you can/can't do is an individual thing, depending on how the disease effects you in particular, what kind of excercise you usually do etc.. I was very athletic once upon a time and have had to change my excercises to cope with various joint pains, levels of fatigue, sun exposure etc.. In short, if you want to try something and feel you can do it, go for it!:) and then if you need to make adjustments, do so, and don't feel bad or beat yourself up over it. Happy cycling8)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey Julie

I am relatively new to this too. The one thing I have learned is to listen to my body and not to exercise if my body is saying rest (defeats the object)! My hubby is getting very good at recognising when I need to rest too!

Cycling is good although I have given up on that just at the moment. I find swimming is great for me and I can tell if I haven't been for a couple of week (get really stiff and feel like an old granny). Its my one bit of "regular" exercise! I go to the beginners lessons on a Friday evening cos I am not a strong swimmer and the pool is quieter.

Walking is good too. I tend to go out with my camera and take pictures (its a good excuse to rest and take a break :lol: )!

Take care and find what works for you.... but don't over do it!

Claire

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have liked swimming and water "aerobics". The elliptical has been good to me as well - it's easier on the joints for me than cycling or the treadmill.

However, most days, all I do is take a nice walk outside for about 30 minutes. It's free and I enjoy it (& I feel like I *have* to do it because my dogs look at me funny if I don't take them out!)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy Julie,
My rule for exercise is to do whatever I can but *without getting overtired*. Learning moderation in exercise is difficult for me but absolutely necessary. Walking, gentle Aikido (especially sword kata) and Iai (Japanese sword drawing exercises) are about it for me.
When life intervenes I find having a shower is a good day's exercise!:)
Douglas+

·
Registered
46 Posts
for those of you in england who are interested there is a gp 'exercise on referral' scheme for people who have chronic long term illness or depression or other mental health problems.........you dont pay full price either and you get a choice depending on what is available in your area at the local leisure centre.

i am in london and this scheme exists here so ask your GP's and see, its worth looking into.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hiya,

My advise when it comes to exercise would be to do as much as your body will allow. I used to be a real gym bunny, going 4 times a week and running. When I got 'really ill' (?!) with Lupus I stopped exercise altogether which has had a very negative effect on my health.

However I have just returned to the gym (last Sunday was the first session back) and really had to take it slowly. I only managed 3 minutes on the recline bike, 3 on the arm bike & 5 on the treadmill. I had a blood clot on my lung over xmas and have been diagnosed with shrinking lung syndrome which means my breathing is pretty bad but I won't let that stop me trying to improve things.

I also went back to Weight watchers and have lost almost 1/2 stone in 3 weeks.......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Julie

Getting the exercise balance right has been a big problem for me. I was brought up to believe that you haven't really exercised unless you're running with sweat and thoroughly worn out, which means that since having lupus I've alternated between doing too much and tiring myself out, and doing nothing at all. Neither is any good for me so now I've been referred to a physio to help me work out a sensible exercise regime. I feel so stupid that I can't decide for myself how much is the right amount and it didn't help that the last doc I saw had no sympathy, in fact he outright told me that my priorities were all wrong. They just don't realise sometimes what it is they're asking us to do.

Anyway, it turns out I have no helpful advice here, only best wishes that you find your balance and that it helps keep at least some of your symptoms at bay.

xxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts