The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

I went to get my prescription of meds renewed, and because I can't make it to the doctors in normal hours I sent a letter and an SAE, which they were meant to send back with my prescription. They messed up the process though, and as such I've been off most of my meds for a week.

I was coping ok with ibruofen and paracetamol, but then last night had the most severe pain episode of my life. All my joints and some of my muscles too flared up (and my glands were really swollen) and I couldn't get into any position to stop the pain. Every time I tried to move I would just start shaking, which continued as panic set in. My friend wanted to call an ambulance, but I couldn't see the point as I was just in pain and there was nothing 'really' wrong. I felt really sick from the pain too, but thankfully I got so tired I fell asleep in the early hours of this morning.

I am still in a lot of pain today, but dragged myself in to work to make sure I was surrounded by people. I just wondered...does anyone else have episodes like this, and what do you do?

Hugs,

RM

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Roseanne,

I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain.

I think many of us have had or would have episodes like that if we didn't have certain meds!!

Personally I have never missed a prescription but got this recently from a slight pred reduction.

It sounds like you need to get to the pharmacy or the docs and get this sorted as soon as possible. I wouldn't say it is "only" pain as pain is an indication that something is not right...

Katharine

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Roseanne,
I do understand what you are saying. I have a wonderful doctor that will not allow me to run out or go without the meds he would do a 30 day script to give me time to work out some time to get in to see him.

You should talk to your employer to find out if you can combine maybe 2 of your lunch hours and take that time to see your doctor as it is import to stay on your meds. If you go too long you will be having to call off work from pain and other effects of not having the medicine you need.

As for the mix up at the doctors office, I would be putting in a call and seeing if they have samples or if they could call or fax the script to your pharmacy to be filled asap. This is not your fault but you are the one paying the price with your body.

I hope that you find an answer to your problem soon and feel better fast.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi RM,
Tammy has very good advice with the faxing of scripts to the pharmacy. I rarely have to have a "hard copy" prescription, usually only for my demerol rx or syringes for my chemo.

Are you working a job where you cannot make up time taken for a medical appt? I know that some jobs make the accommodation, but others can't.

I try my best to never run out of a prescription. I make the odd mistake, but usually it isn't too serious. I doubt I could last a whole week tho.

I would ask your doctor what you need to put in place to make sure that you don't run out of meds in the future. Perhaps give him a choice of faxing or calling in refills. Perhaps you could also put a note on your calendar to make sure the week before meds run out, to get your refills ordered.
Sally

1 - 4 of 4 Posts