The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Ellen. Recently my left eye swelled, which thought was a cornea abrasion, but the eye doctor immediately ordered blood work and a chest x-ray. I went back to the eye doctor and she told me "your lupus level is up". I didn't quite know what to say, because she had no idea that my mom died from systemic lupus. My family doctor said the test is normal, not to worry about anything. I do have symptons of lupus. fatique, arthritis, general aches all over, night sweats, and hot flashes during the day. These come and go. The blood result for the ANA titer says 8, they report it as being high with an ANA pattern nucleolar. Other blood work states my AGAP is Low, it is a 4, my A/G ratio is H, 1.9 and my WBC is low, but it is a 4.3. Any suggestions, should I have other test done, since my mom had lupus. Should I be concerned since the othomologists (sp.) was. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Ellen,

I am sorry to hear about your mother.:hug:

How long ago did you have blood tests taken?

You need to see a rhumey that knows lupus.
If it was me and the eye doc. said that I would be getting it further investigated.

Here is a link to the main page of this web site. Towards the bottom you will find what tests are used to diagnose lupus.

http://www.uklupus.co.uk/dxlupus.html

Welcome to the lupus site.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blood Test

I had my blood work done on July 18th. My mom passed away in 1977 from Lupus. They did not know a lot about Lupus then. It took years before she was told what was wrong. My primary is not concerned at all, even though it is in my medical history about my mom. I have already had a hip replacement due to avascular necrosis (AVN). I push myself almost everyday. I can't stop and complain about hurting all the time. I am a single parent, my daughter is 13, I have a son who is 22. I do not complain and go to the doctor for the aches and pains. Maybe I should have. I hope it is not lupus.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there and welcome :)

I would agree that you absolutely mustn't ignore this and get a second opinion. Sometimes primary docs are so used to seeing us that they get a little complacent and it can be worth seeing someone else and possibly changing primary docs if you think that is the case.

It is also quite normal that your doc is not at all concerned if you don't complain about aches and pains. Often those aches and pains have crept up on us and we don't stop and think that they aren't normal and that not everyone of our age has them or is limited in what they do in the same way as we are.

Katharine

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I would definitely chase this. Has your eye doc given you any treatment? I would be going back to my gp and giving a full list of my symptoms and asking to be referred to a rheumy who is familiar with lupus.

Let us know how you get on.

Deb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you

Thank you all for your advice. My eye doc gave me a steroid drop for my eye. I have to use it for two more weeks. I see her again in a month. My primary told me that the eye doc would monitor me. I told them that she is not my primary doc. He is to call me today. I know my ana level is only mildly elevated, but my instincts tell me that I should not ignore this. The eye doc had no clue that my mom had lupus and for that to be the first thing she said, really scared me. I don't feel that this is a coincidence. Thank you all again. By the way, I am 50 years old. I also know that it is very hard to diagnose Lupus. I will be very persistent with this and my doc. or start seeking another primary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.