TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever suffered with this associated with their Lupus? I saw my rheumy a couple of days ago as I have been suffering from shortness of breath and have pleuritis. I also mentioned that my eyes are very dry, blurred vision and sharp pain and I cannot tolerate my contact lenses at tho mo . He said I must go and see my oftalmologista which I have just returned from tonight and I am upset as she says I have 2 ulcers on my right eye. She looked very concerned and I have lots of antibiotic drops to take to see if it will clear. When I asked her why I may have this she said it could be related to the Lupus, or may not be. Does anyone have any advice or experience of this? Feeling really low as my eyes are so painful and agony with ribs and chest pains. I dont have family nearby and kids to look after so I cant just retire to bed, much as I would love to.
Victoria

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Victoria,

I'm sorry you feel so rotten right now. I've had experience of eye ulcers and I know how painful and uncomfortable it can be.

A year before I was dignosed I had what looked like eczema around the eyes, my eyes then became very swollen and painful inside. Blinking was torture and trying to sleep was impossible as you can't avoid the lid rubbing against your eye. My hubby took me to the local hospital as they had an emergency eye clinic and they diagnosed allergic conjuctivitis. I was prescribed an antibiotic gel and steroid drops. By the next day I started to feel better.

Even weeks afterwards my optician could see traces of where the ulcers had been. I've never had it as bad since but a couple of times the ulcers have returned. Now I know it is probably linked to having lupus.

I hope your eyes and chest pain improve soon Victoria. Let us know how you get on.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Victoria,

I too suffer from dry eyes, sometimes I can't look up because it is so painfull. MY GP thinks it is lupus related but I started with antibiotic drops first just in case there was any infection. Now I put lubricant drops in three times a day and it is much better. You just have to remember to put them in!

Squiffy

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi,

Sorry you are in so much pain. It must be misery. Sojerns disease is linked with having Lupus. That gives you dry and sore eyes and mouth. I had a really bad time with mine about a year ago and after the infection bits were cleared up I was given 'fake tears' (called hypermellose?) to drop in in the morning and when I got home from work and before I go to bed I use something called lacrilube its a bit like vaseline and you squirt a little bit on your bottom eye lid. It really makes a difference to me.

Have you got any good pain killers? Is there any way you can have a rest - any friends that can take the kids for a while or clubs they can go to?

Hope you are feeling much brighter soon.
K

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I would asked to be checked for sjogrens.

as already said it affects the eyes and dryness is a dreadful thing..

i use sno tears all the time but am prone to eye infections if i let the eye get to dry as ofcourse the eye when blinked is suppose to release tears well with sjogrens it doesnt work like that..

its a simple test to be checked for sjogrens.
do let us know how you get on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts