The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone:)

I have decided to take the plunge and get my eyelashes tinted. I am tired of having that 'vacant' look that white eyelashes produce:rolleyes: Ever since starting the Plaquenil my eyelashes turned virtually white and got lesser and lesser. I have a few left but not too many. The ones that are left also skew a bit to one side.

Anyway I spoke to a beautician the other day and she did a spot allergy test on my skin and I had no reaction. I have dry eyes and use a lubricating gel several times a day to keep them moist. I hope to goodness the dye doesnt run as otherwise Im going to look very panda-like after using my gel:rolleyes:

Anyone else who uses some kind of eye drops/gels ever get their eyelashes tinted? Did it work out alright?

Cheers
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Joan,

I don't have the dry eyes like you but I have had my eyelashes tinted while using eye drops. I had no issue and was pretty pleased with the results. There is always a little excess dye which can be wiped away. They normally use vaseline around the eye to prevent staining.

I hope it works out for you & you look glam afterwards ;)

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hay Joan :p i do have dry eyes and use the gel and have had no problem. My eyes do burn a little, but im pretty sure thats normal. I think your going to be okay, and your going to love it!! :wink2:

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I did it and Im not too impressed with the results :rolleyes: The dye is kind of heavy right at the roots of my top eyelashes giving an impression of thin black eyeliner on my top lid:rolleyes: It might have worked for Dusty Springfield but it does nothing for me! ;) Also the dye didnt take at all on the bottom eyelashes!

My daughter is trying to convince me to go back again because apparently I was 'done' by one of the inexperienced saloon girls and she assures me that there are others there who do a better job. I'll think about it... ;)

Ah well - nothing ventured, nothing gained :hehe:

Luv n stuff

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi joan

Aw sorry to hear the tinting was a disappointment :sad:

I agree with your daughter you should go back & see if they can fix it?too often we are too polite to complain but at the end of the day you have paid for a service & are not happy with it.(says me who hates to take anything back to the shops!:hehe: )

funnily enough I was thinking of getting it done myself joan as I always wear mascara because my eyelashes look sparse,might re-think that idea now :wink2:
however I have found that eyelash serum (not sure if I can state brand?) is wonderful for making your eyelashes more pronounced..it also conditions them & helps them stay strong.I definitely recommend it!

at least you tried joan :) another experience eh!
take care..karen x

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Oh no ((((Joan !))))) What a bummer :(

I hope they will be able to fix it for you, for free. I'm going to stick to my mascara I think because I am a real scaredy cat about dying. I used to be able to buy a nice simple one in the USA which was meant for older women of the sort who don't necessarily want to have "6 x fuller and thicker" for fear of looking ridiculous but just want a bit of simple colour. I've not seen anything like that here so I have to wipe half of it off the wand.

I think you can give the brand of the serum Karen, under the- looking- good- as -medically- necessary principle - I haven't even heard of such a thing. I suspect my eyelashes are so light because of the anti malarials after all.

Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I did not know anti-malarials could lighten your lashes.

I sometimes use a product for home eyelash tinting from Boots. Useful as ever, I cannot remember the name, but it comes with a little plastic tray for mixing 2 ingredients together. You make a thick paste with it so it doesn't run. Goes on a bit lumpy, and the miniature stick you put it on with is a bit naff, but the mixture stays put until the time's up and you have to wipe it off.

Having no pride or shame, I stick a roll up (cigarette) paper underneath my lower lashes cos they are very fine, and I want THEM to be dark brown, not my face. I do put a bit of vaseline or cream on the bit under my eyebrows in case my lashes touch when I open my eyes, but not much cos I don't see how the stuff can tint if you've inadvertently got vaseling on the lashes.

Works like a treat if you get all the tiny weeny ones.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thanks clare! :) ....It's called .....'Lash primer plus' by estee lauder.

It can be used on it's own or before applying mascara (but you only need a faint brush of mascara)..it conditions,protects & thickens your eyelashes as apparently mascara ruins them!..It costs around £15 but personally I think it's well worth it :)

Alwin...I wasn't aware anti-malarials lightened your lashes either.
I love the sound of your tinting kit I will definitely be trying that!at least you can be your own judge of how much to use!.have to find an alternative for the cigarette papers though :hehe:

luv karen x

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Karen and Clare

The 'thin black line' is less pronounced today so thats good:hehe: I suspect the anti malarials did a 'number' on the colour of my lashes as well. They are very white and thats only since I began taking the Plaquenil - or a while after at least. They are also very sparse so I suspect I lost a good lot of them as well and they just dont seem to grow back - certainly not the same way as they used to anyway.

The only good thing about the hairloss is that I havent had to pluck my eyebrows in a few years! Also I have virtually no hairs on my legs anymore so thats handy as well. Its a pity all those lost hairs seem to have landed on my chin though!

Thanks again
The great and wonderful bearded lady with the panda eyes.... Looking Good, Feeling Better! Ha!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hiya,
I realise this thread is old, but I'm thinking about getting my plaqueniled-pale eyelashes/eyebrows tinted, and was wondering Joan whether you regretted getting yours done in the end? Did you get them done again?

I'm lazy and sick of having to put mascara on every day, and I'm a brunette so it does look distinctly odd...

Cheers :hehe:

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Fairy :)

No Im afraid I didnt go through it again. It wasnt worth it for the panda eyed look!

I still use mascara occasionally - just not everyday. I generally have learned to live with the 'vacant' expression that white eyelashes with no mascara gives one!

Sorry I couldnt have provided a more positive response!

Cheers

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ah!! Sorry to hear the dye job was not a success!! I'm curiuos, is that a common side effect of plaquenil? Have you lost other hair? Is the hair loss permanent? Oh, and how soon after you started taking plaquenil did the hair loss start?

The whole lupus thing is new to me, as well as all the treatments for it. I'm trying to get a handle on what I should expect, and what I need to do to take care of myself.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Wane

I havent lost any discernible amount of hair from my head. Its a bit thinner on top than it used to be but its still a healthy amount of hair! What the Plaquenil seems to have done is bleached the hair on my body (including eyelashes and eyebrows) to almost white (certainly a very pale cream colour!). Apparently its a fairly common side effect. Also I lost a lot of lashes at one stage and a few grew back but they sort of grew sideways! I remember others here reporting that as well.

As for my eyebrows....I havent plucked them for several years as they just stopped growing and the little hairs that did grow were white anyway so they arent noticable! Also I have a bald patch in one eyebrow but its hard to notice it unless up very close because my eyebrows are so pale anyway.

The hairs on my legs and under my arms still dont grow very much either so in some ways I have gained! :lol:

Cheers

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I have a girlfriend that had her lashes dyed and like Joan was not thrilled with the results.

My eyelashes are all there but barely visible as they are so blond in color.

My eyebrows are literally falling out along with the hair on my head.:eek::eek:

If you look at me I only have 1/2 of a eyebrow over each eye. The outer portion is what has stopped growing. It looks like I tweeze myself bald.:lol::lol::lol:

I use a little brow liner along with mascara and it all comes together for me.

Then again somedays I use nothing so folks have something to talk about.:rotfl:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks!
I'll just carry on thinking about it then, unless I can find someone that's highly recommended! I was a bridesmaid at a wedding recently, and the make-up woman suggested it (after untactfully commenting on my rash and pale eyelashes - neither of which I could be bothered to explain...) I hadn't thought of it before.

Mascara it is then :hehe:

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi again Fairy

To be honest I think it is worth giving it one try. I had a friend who was very pleased with her results. Maybe I just happened to be 'done' by the Village Idiot...who knows :rolleyes:

I did find it very uncomfortable getting those strips of things attached so finely to the edge of my eyelids (to prevent staining). They didnt work well anyway as there was still a line of dye under the eyelid which didnt do anything for me:rolleyes:. I also found it wierd having someone put the dye on my lashes. I kept thinking they were going to poke me in the eyeball! I am a bit sensitive in my eyes so I think thats what made it more uncomfortable for me.

If you decide to have a go let us know how it goes.

Cheers

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I just wouldn't dare in case I had some sort of reaction. I'd certainly want a patch test done first if I was seriously contemplating it.

:)
Clare

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh yes indeed - very important to mention. I got a spot allergy test done first. As it didnt produce any problems I went ahead and took the plunge.

Im afraid the only 'reaction' I got was one of sniggers from my work colleagues on the 'panda look' :lol:

Cheers

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Fairy

Just a few days but I did do a fair bit of rubbing and scrubbing at it! Actually its unfair really to say I looked like a Panda - more like a badly constructed version of Dustry Springfield with a thin black line along my upper lid. I have small eyelids anyway so adding anything to my upper lid makes them look even smaller! Plus the line wasnt EXACTLY on the edge of the lid. There was a bit of a white gap between the lid and the line which made me look very peculiar! :lol:

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts