The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I had my regular eye check today by my lovely optician who I've been going to for 15 years!!! They are very ahead of the game in testing and luckily for me have experience with people who have autoimmune conditions.

Over the last couple of months I've felt that on occasions I've had to blink more to focus as if there is a film across my eyes and they feel irritated. The optician checked the quality and quantity of my tears. She found that when I blink the coating of tears which should last around 10 seconds is less with me.

She also told me that tears are made up of 3 layers - oil, mucous and water. I am producing too much oil hence the film over my eye. I have tested negative for Sjogrens but wondered if this was a sign that it was developing. She assured me that wasn't the case but that lupus can affect the tear ducts and quality of tears. If I feel it really bothers me then I can use saline to correct it.

It was a blow to know that another part of me is affected but at least I know it's nothing to serious. Everything else checked out ok - vision, blood vessels, retina etc.

Just thought I'd share.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Wow, how nice to have such a long term relationship with the eye doc (optician)! I've had to change mine a few times over now.

I found out much the same news as you a few years ago, in that my tear coating would only last about 2 seconds. I was also told it was just due to lupus and did not indicate I had sjorgen's too especially due to the absence of relevant antibodies and lack of additional symptoms such as mouth dryness.

In fact, looking back eye dryness was quite possibly one of my **first** symptoms of lupus. I had a bone dry Schirmer's test about 12 years b4 my first bad flare that got me diagnosed (I went in to eye doc that time 18 years ago complaning I was unable to wear my contacts anymore as they dried out and hurt).

So I think your optician is quite possibly right - but be sure to inform your rheumy of the new finding. Treatment probably won't change any regardless... I hope you find some good drops that help you. I like Systane and the eye gel at night; and used Restasis prescription drops for a while too.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Pam,:)
That is good that you don't have sjogren's. I love Restasis but my insurance wouldn't cover it because it is far too pricey. I use otc eye drops. I think you are so fortunate to have a 15 yr relationship with your eye dr. I hope you get some relief now for your eyes.

Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Becca :hug:. The 15 year thing really made me feel old! :lol:

Maia - it's funny you mentioned contact lenses. I used to wear mine daily until 5 years ago as they became dry and uncomfortable. I put it down to working in front of a computer all day and had a tendency to blink less. I now wear daily disposables just on special occasions or holidays.

It never crossed my mind to mention to my rheumy......:bashhead: :doh:

Hugz,

Pam xxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts