The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago in 2014 and was put on plaquenil. I have fairly mild lupus and the plaquenil has been working well. Before I was diagnosed I had a lot of swelling in my elbows, as well as a lot of fatigue.

I still struggle with fatigue, as well as making sure I rest when I can. On nice days I want to go out and do things, and I often over-extend.

But my current problem is something that went away for awhile and now has come back--facial swelling. It used to be when I was really stressed, my face would swell on one side for a few days. Ibuprofen helps, but is not ideal. Now my problem is that certain food causes the swelling when I eat it first thing in the morning. And these are the foods we are supposed to be eating.

The foods are:
blueberries
cherries
citrus fruits
oatmeal
bread
yogurt

When I start eating them, I feel a pain (very hard to describe but like when you eat something sour but in one side of my jaw and really intense) and my face starts to swell almost immediately. When I press the swollen part, it hurts quite a bit. I'm currently in Japan and my doctor here doesn't know much about lupus.

I'm searched and there aren't any articles linking these foods to negative effects in lupies. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,567 Posts
Have you checked with the dentist that your teeth are ok? Certain fruits which are acidic can irritate our teeth especially if we have already got a problem.

·
Administrator
10,199 Posts
Deb's suggestion of seeing the dentist is a good idea. It could be a tooth problem or even one in the jaw area. TMJ or an issue with the trigeminal nerve could cause these type symptoms.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi

Id say the two most likely ones to cause a problem are bread and yoghurt. The only way to find out is to try to eliminate them. I know when i eat natural foods im a lot beter than when i eat processed foods

Kind regards
Mark

·
FKA Clare.T
169 Posts
I think it's unlikely to be the foods themselves. I don't know about the swelling, but it's worth your while reading about trigeminal neuralgia which can be associated with inflammatory connective tissue diseases like lupus. Over the years reading the forums I've come across a few people with it.
They took the carbemazapine or the gabapentin that are mentioned in the articles.
Eliminating all these foods for a few weeks then gradually reintroduce one by one is a good idea, and so is seeing a good dentist.
Keep a food diary.
I wouldn't start having any major dental work done without getting a second opinion though.
I hope you find an answer soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've never checked with a dentist and I've had this problem for at least a year. It's not constant either--I'll eat fruit for breakfast every day for months and be fine, and then it starts again. Once I'm back in the US (I live in Japan) I'll be sure to go and see what they say.

I'll try elimination as well.

I'm not sure it's the specific foods, though tartness seems to have something to do with it. Who knows.

I haven't heard about trigeminal neuralgia, but I'll ask my doctor about it. I really hope I don't have another thing, but it seems like a possibility.

Thanks again. =)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No it doesn't effect my tongue. Just one side of my jaw--it's happened on both sides, but never at the same time. The longest it's stayed like that for was maybe 2-3 days. Usually though it's less time, like an hour or two. But then throughout the day it usually comes back when I eat.

·
Administrator
7,567 Posts
If it affects both sides, I would think it unlikely to be your teeth. Although still worth checking with your dentist. It sounds very unpleasant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all.

I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago in 2014 and was put on plaquenil. I have fairly mild lupus and the plaquenil has been working well. Before I was diagnosed I had a lot of swelling in my elbows, as well as a lot of fatigue.

I still struggle with fatigue, as well as making sure I rest when I can. On nice days I want to go out and do things, and I often over-extend.

But my current problem is something that went away for awhile and now has come back--facial swelling. It used to be when I was really stressed, my face would swell on one side for a few days. Ibuprofen helps, but is not ideal. Now my problem is that certain food causes the swelling when I eat it first thing in the morning. And these are the foods we are supposed to be eating.

The foods are:
blueberries
cherries
citrus fruits
oatmeal
bread
yogurt

When I start eating them, I feel a pain (very hard to describe but like when you eat something sour but in one side of my jaw and really intense) and my face starts to swell almost immediately. When I press the swollen part, it hurts quite a bit. I'm currently in Japan and my doctor here doesn't know much about lupus.

I'm searched and there aren't any articles linking these foods to negative effects in lupies. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!
Hi!
I've had the facial swelling, tongue swelling and even lips and finger swelling. I was also taking plaqunil. I've had lupus for 25 years and within the past year, I've recently started experiencing the swelling. My doctors are not sure what's causing it. I was taken off the plaqunil to see if that's the problem. So far, it still comes and goes. When it comes, it lasts for 24hrs at the most.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi!
I've had the facial swelling, tongue swelling and even lips and finger swelling. I was also taking plaqunil. I've had lupus for 25 years and within the past year, I've recently started experiencing the swelling. My doctors are not sure what's causing it. I was taken off the plaqunil to see if that's the problem. So far, it still comes and goes. When it comes, it lasts for 24hrs at the most.
I'm sorry to hear you have experienced this as well, but I am a little glad to know it's not just me. I haven't had swelling in all those places, really my jaw and my fingers. The swelling in my fingers goes away in the morning, but the jaw swelling does last for a day sometimes. I saw my mom for the first time in 8 months and she said my face looks more swollen than it used to--like my face is just always swollen to some degree. I want to talk to a doctor in the US, but don't have insurance here anymore. I really don't want to go on steroids, so I'm hoping it's not the plaqunil.

Anyway, thank you for letting me I'm not alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts