The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Falling falling falling

Three falls, no injuries :rotfl:

Lost my balance last week at the mall with a friend. I was kneeling down looking at some lipstick and got up and lost the balance and fell into a stack of nailpolish and knocked the whole thing to the ground and broke the sign :worried: It was quite embarrassing, especially when it sounded like glass breaking and everyone came over to see. There I was !

Then I am walking upstairs and I don't quite know what happened, the knee or foot gave out and I fell into the fan I had - it is a tall one, actually hugged it down to the floor.

Then this morning I am walking to my car and skipped a foot or something and went flying and fell down on my knees. Luckily I had my long big thick winter jacket that coushioned me on my fall.

I consider myself really lucky actually, no bruises, no bumps, no cuts.

But kind of concered that the balance is getting off.

I can say that my pain level is quite high and no not because of the falls. The energy level is down. I think that I loose my balance when things get worse.

Better days ahead !!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi,

I know when Sarah's balance was off, just about a month ago (she fell down the stairs a few times). Her Doctors were quite concerned and upt her prednisone and checked her antiseizure meds a high doses can cause headaches and balance issues. I would give your Rheumie a call. Her neuro test last appointment for balance was much improved

Sharon

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Paula

Sorry to hear about your falls but thank goodness you werent hurt. That nailpolish incident sure sounds mortifying :blush:

Having these kinds of falls does make one nervous and extra cautious - I suppose thats no bad thing. Be very careful when going downstairs though. Make sure you have handrails and use them ALL the time. Because of the propensity for my hip to give way, I am very careful on the stairs. You sure dont need a broken arm or leg :worried:

Hope it doesnt get any worse. Let us know how you are

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Paula,

I am so glad to hear you were not injured when you feel three times!:sad:
That must have been very frightening for you..Joan gave you some great suggestions..Stairs, are especially dangerous for us..

I bet you are sore..though? Ouch!

Take Care,

Love
Sandy[/B]

·
Administrator
10,196 Posts
Hi Paula,

Definitely mention the falling at your next appointment. In the meantime you might pay more attention to your walking. Usually we just go on autopilot. By paying attention you might find a pattern to the cause of the falls.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Paula,
Yes, I have fallen through Supermarket displays too.
Yesterday my foot just folded up and I have sprained it. Had an uncomfortable night , even the bedclothes hurt . I am glad you weren't hurt. Be careful.
x Lola

·
Registered
580 Posts
hi hellos

do you know whats causing your falls?.

was this an accident or is it lupus related?

on christmas eve i went to visit my mother
and on my way out was quite dark outside

and down i went on black ice. everyone
was too busy talking to know what happened.

i was there for a few seconds when everyone
realized what had happened. i cried like a

a baby. out of fear hurt my knees, not too bad
my kids and my mother laughed their heads off.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
i warned my sister to throw salt on it but she
didnt listen and down she went.:lol: :lol:

it was my turn to laugh:rotfl: :rotfl:

anyway im glad that you didnt get hurt.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SUshi - well, that made me laugh - sorry but I got a visual of it - about your sister laughing then falling. :lol: I am not sure why this happened. I know the time in the store I got up, light headed almost and went down. Following the fan to the floor, I just kind of lost my balance almost like one leg had no feeling in it for a second..... and the time outside, I think my foot didn't go in front of the other foot the right way and sort of skipped. Not a clue why or what related to . I am a cluts maybs :lol:

Lola - I hope that your sprain heals fast...... sorry to hear that, sometimes I don't know how my foot didn't break or get sprained.

Lazylegs - yes, you are right, I am autopilot usually

Sage Hen - I am very sore, but not from the fall....:hehe:

Joan - you are right, and in fact, I have two sets of stairs to climb up and down at work. I choose the stairs instead of the elevator. Come to think of it, I don't use the handles. It is a good idea to start.

Sharon - I go to the rhemo in a few weeks and will see if this happens again. I am glad Sarah's balance has improved.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Paula,

I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. I think it's worth a mention to your doc at the next appt though.

Back in September, within a weeks time, a ran into three (very large) items and hit my head in the same spot. By the third hit, I was seeing stars. That evening I had the worst headache of my life and soooooo sick to my stomache and horrible rining in my ears. Finally went to see the good dr and I was the proud owner of my very first concussion:hehe:. Wow, was that ever a rough week.

Stay away from lipstick displays:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts