The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanderin my daughter has lupus shes had it since she was 15yrs old shes now 17yrs old she has the one that affects your organs, well recently she been having these episodes that she feels as though she is goin to faint more when she has had a bath so i dont let her have one now just a shower, she had the faintish feeling this evening but was ok after a bit could you give me some advice on what might be causing this

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi kathy,

I wonder if your daughter is suffering more with heat stress? I know many of us (moi included) can't have very hot showers or baths and the hot weather also affects me after a short amount of time out. I think we have difficulty regulating our temp and cooling down which most certainly can lead to feeling like we are going to pass out. It's not unlike what people with MS get.

The remedy is to have a cooler bath/shower which is not really what we want to do especially if we have sore joints, the hotter the water the better my joints feel, but it's not worth the fainting weak feeling it leaves us with.

love
Lily

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have struggled with that myself and was diagnosed with Uhtoff's phenomena (sp) Along with feeling faint after hot showers (something to do with drop in blood pressure) I would have what looked like fire works in my eyes. I don't know how else to describe it. I wish her luck and just tell her to avoid hot showers or overheating.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Kathy,

Like Lily your post also made me think about heat stress. I know that if I occasionally give in and have a bath in a bid to help my joints, I feel quite light headed and often have nausea after. I very rarely take baths anyway and I'm careful not to overheat the bath or bathroom if I do.

Katharine

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Kathy, I just wanted to add one more thing,you must write it down and tell her Rheumy, or call, but he has to know, just in case he thinks that it could be something else. Anything that changes in your daughters life, you must tell her Rheumy. Please take care, and keep posting.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello, Some teens do have naturally low Blood pressure and are inclined to faint. My 17 year old is like this. In the days when she went to pop concerts she would spend more time getting carried out to first aid.

She has Lupus too.
Can we do anything to help you and your Daughter?
x Lola

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LolaLola;507296 said:
Hello, Some teens do have naturally low Blood pressure and are inclined to faint. My 17 year old is like this. In the days when she went to pop concerts she would spend more time getting carried out to first aid.

She has Lupus too.
Can we do anything to help you and your Daughter?
x Lola
thanks for all your replies it was helpful i will be mentionin it when she goes to see her rumey has ive transfered her to manchester as she was at preston i will be tellin them everything thats happend, she does have cool baths she cant stand hot ones

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.