The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A possibly very strange question; but does anyone in here actually feel better when the sun is out? I mean not only mentally but also physically?

I know that the sun is supposed to be the Lupy's enemy, but am just wondering.....

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi surfer yes i do that is the reason that i go on holiday every year.I love the sun the warmer it is the better i feel.I love haveing a tan we go to Greece for two weeks we are of in 5weeks Does it make you feel better i hope it does Elisabeth

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
Mentally I feel better when the sun is shining, I just can't be out in it.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
11,408 Posts
When the sun is out and shining it is wonderful. Mentally it is good. It is a lot better than seeing a cloudy, dark, cold windy day. Those cloudy days, I call a good sleeping days.
I love the sun but I know I cant be out in it.

:sunny:
Lyn

·
4,435 Posts
HIya. I am photosensitive at the moment... but the sun makes me feel really lovely, not at all achy etc in my joints..however if I haven't high enough factor in comes the malar rash followed by all over skin rashes and swollen face, lips, eyes etc etc... I am hoping one day it will get better!!!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
All lupies should avoid strong sunlight as the sun stimulates the immune system which can then cause hidden damage. There are at least 2 members here who progressed to kidney involvement through being in the sun.

I tend to feel dizzy and sick after 15 minutes so always cover up or stay in the shade. Some lupies feel ill instantly, others it's not till the next day but just because you don't feel ill doesn't mean it isn't damaging you.

I loved having a glowing tan but now I use fake tan and splash out on nice swimwear and hats. I still enjoy holidays and tend to sit out as the sun is going down when it's not so strong. For me that's the best time of the day anyway.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

The reason why I asked is that since the sun has been out my aches and pains SEEM to have gone down - a lot. But the other day when it was a touch cold and overcast the pain returned a little.

Loopyloo, I am glad you mentioned the "hidden damage". I'm guessing that just because my knees and arms aren't hurting it doesn't mean something somewhere else is being damaged.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Suferboy, I feel just like you. In fact, yesterday it was cool and damp and I was in pain, while the warm, sunny day before I felt great. I don't seem to have any ill effects from the sun, but I'm careful anyway because the wise veterans here have warned me about the hidden damage that can result.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Surferboy,

I didn't mean to scare you in any way. I joined this site 3 years ago when I was diagnosed and initially brushed off the sun warnings from my rheumatologist. After reading some posts on here (if I wasn't feeling so rough I'd find them for you) there were some members that after only one case of overexposure developed kidney involvement.

The first time I went on hols after my diagnosis I cried my eyes out. I always looked glowing with a tan and loved lying in the sun. The problem was that we went to Lanzarote and because i also have Raynauds if I stayed in the shade the wind caused pain and tingling in my hands and feet. I learned that it's all about adjusting and now I look better than my hubby when we come back :lol:.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Not everyone is sun sensitive, but it's still wise to take some sensible precautions.

There is something called a "Pain Index" on the weather channel here in the states at least... you can see it at: www.weather.com You'll just have to search around on the site a bit to find it!

I wonder if that is what you are noticing instead of the sun actually making you feel better it has to do with the barometric pressure? Just a thought!

·
Registered
360 Posts
That was a helpful site Maia. I found the Aches and Pains section by looking at the site map and it was under the Health heading. I've often heard barometric pressure is what causes pain for many people so it makes sense that on a sunny day, with lower pressure, some would feel better. And that warm glow just makes everything seem better anyway.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
I do have to say that I feel better in rainy cloudy days myself. It is cooler and I can pull certains back and see outside for a change. I also sleep so much better with rain, thunder and lightening. I know say it I am strange right. It is ok I have been hearing that all my life.

If I am in the sun or have to be in the sun it drains my energy. I feel sorer and sicker. I hope that the sun keeps working for you. Feel better how every you can.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i didnt take the sun seriously until my rhumey told me that being in the sun for me its like( im sorry to put it like this but it was his exact words) like putting a bullet in my head. if im in it for a while my skin (arms) become very hot and i break out in a rash.

before he told me this and i had no symptoms i used to sit in it like anybody else. now i know better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts