The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, can anyone tell me what this is about or if Im really going nuts, sometimes Im convinced I am. Im having one of my 'feel like Im dieing' moments. They come and go,last for a couple hrs. on average.But they are soooo OVERWHELMING! I get dizzy, drowsy(extreme) cold sweats,fevers and racing,crazy,uncontrolable thoughts. PleaseHelp:(

·
Registered
277 Posts
A number of those sound like symptoms of a panic attack - the only part I've never heard of as a panic symptom is the drowsiness, but that's not to say it's not possible of course. Try to distract yourself if you can, get involved in something that takes all your attention but doesn't require a huge amount of focus, if that makes any sense (for example playing a computer game rather than trying to read a book). Remind yourself that panic attacks are scary, but not life-threatening, and they always pass eventually. If this is a persistant problem for you, it might be a good idea to ask your doctor about some as-needed anxiety medication to take when you start to panic (or an anxiety med to take regularly, if anxiety is generally a problem for you).

Panic attacks are the first thing that came to mind when I read your post, but of course it's possible something else is going on, so you should probably get checked out by your doctor to make sure there's nothing physically wrong that's causing these.

Hope that helped a bit, hang in there!

sf

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm sorry this is happening to you reisha. Before I was diagnosed with Graves diease many many years ago. I started having horrid panic attacks. From what you described, it sounds to me like a panic attack also. I know that certain medications can give you panic attacks. And some illness, like the graves diease. They can last a few minutes to an hour or more. You might want to bring this up at your next Drs appointment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is very difficult to explain exactly what one of these episodes feel like. The drowsiness I mentioned is more of a...light-headed, faint, about to pass out or slipping in &out of consciousness and hallucinations. I do try my best to stay calm until it passes but I know there is something going on.I will be discussing with my doc. my next appointment. Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Certified nut

Hey, thanks guys, I googled panic attack and I think thay may just be it.I always thought only people who are nervous or have sever phobias got panic attacks. You can get em if you worry alot too. :(

·
Registered
368 Posts
:( I have suffered from panic attacks, they ARE scary, you feel like you're dying! Are you on any anti-depressants or anti anxiety meds? That would help! Cathy

·
Registered
277 Posts
Okay that description of drowsiness makes more sense to me, I've had panic attacks too and have definitely experienced that light-headedness. I hope your doctor can help you figure of if this is a med side effect or something seperate, and get you on an anti-anxiety med soon if that's what you need. Good luck!

sf

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Reisha,

Panic attacks can be part of lupus too so you are not going mad but it should definitely be mentioned at your next appointment.

Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I only get them once in a blue moon, but they do seem to happen just as part of my Lupus.
Try not to stress. Good Luck,
x Lola

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yup!

My wonderful husband, who never gets ill, and could not possibly have something like a panic attack ... GETS THEM.

He is not happy in his work.

He did go to the doctor though, and his blood pressure was doing funny things. He's now on mild medication for his blood pressure and both problems are under control.

So ... get checked out anyway!

:love:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Reisha,

I used to have panic attacks when I was younger as a result of a trauma I experienced. Then they were gone for years until I started having lupus symptoms. I don't know is it was the direct effect of lupus per se, but the anxiety produced by feeling so unwell. At any rate, panic attacks do not mean you are insane, they are physiological over-reaction to very real stress. (Well, ok, I am crazy, but not insane and proud of it! :hehe:

So, do get them checked out. There are many medications that can help.

Let us know how you are coping.

Love and Hugs,
Holly

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi there,
I get that feeling when I'm in bed at night just about to go to sleep. It doesn't happen very often, but I pray like crazy that I will wake up the next day. It is the most unsettling feeling. I never thought to ask my doctor about it, I thought I was just being paranoid. Thanks for bringing it up. I'm so grateful for the people on this site. Take care!

Angie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts