The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there.. so my ten year old has high fevers, muscle aches, chills, sore throat and glads swollen in her neck.. my son has a mrsa infection in his knee.. and I am here to take care of them both while my husband is at work. My head is pounding (I stopped drinking coffee yesterday) I have swollen glands in my neck (front and back) and my chest hurts.. but no fever and no sore throat. . I could use a few prayers or well wishes where not getting worse is concerned.. I have had mrsa before and well the bactrim is horrific so I can not catch that AND I dont want the flu either as I am not able to fight that off so easily either.. this stinks!:worried:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there :)

I'm sure you know this but with mrsa the main thing is to avoid skin contact so to make sure you keep your hands washed regularly (and if possible use anti-bacterial gel like they have in hospitals).

Sorry I can't help more but sill be thinking of you :hug:

Katharine

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.. sadly I know.. my son had mrsa fromthe hospital.. I had no clue and was the one "treating it" and then I ended up with it in my knee.. we both had bactrim and I also had an IV med .. then we were fine and mine came right back.. got rid of it and here we are almost a year later.. I keep telling him that he is not to touch it.. its drained now and looks like it is healing so I am happy about that.. as far as I am concerned the quicker it goes the better. Oh Bactrim is a nasty medication!!!! I feel feverish now.. affraid to look. I am going to go across the street now and buy some OJ for us.. and down the fluids.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hugs to you and your son!

Hoping things will pick up for you both!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Jen I am sorry your sick and dealing with 2 sick kids.
I assume your son has bee placed on antibiotics right?
I hope you can make it through the day.
Your mother in law still around?
If not wouldn't it figure, you need help and no one is there.:mad:
I hope you get along ok.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Jenna, sorry you are dealing with this right now. I hope you stay well and that your children recover quickly!

Deb x

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I laughed about the mother in law ordeal.. although a year ago I would have cried.. nope no help here.. I do it all on my own.. not always because I like it that way .. more like bc I have no choice. Kids are awake.. just had "breakfast" and now I am going to straighten out, give them baths and get there rooms all made up..

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Hoping you stay healthy and don't catch those germs. I seem to have lucked out and avoided getting the swine flu from my exposure last week at the gymnastics training center my daughter attends (I was sitting across the table from a girl that 4 hours later woke up with high fever and confirmed swine flu the next day!).

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I am sorry there's so much sickness in your house ((( Jen))) and I hope it all clears up very soon.
Bactrim is a sulfa antibiotic so best avoided by people with lupus who tend to react very badly to that sort

Lots of Luck and speedy healing

Clare

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you thank you... today is day two with out caffien and so far so good. I cleaned the house.. de-germed it .. I am on my fourth load of laundry.. kids had their baths and lunch and medicince and now they are in a very clean room all comfy - I am about to take a bath myself and do the same. Its actually nice outside so maybe we will take a nap and sit out doors for a little while.. lord knows with the flu she will be home a few days.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hopefully with the house clean you can take tomorrow and just relax as your not feeling well yourself Jen. Don't over do it or you will be sick yourself. Sorry you do not get any help from the in laws since they have left. I hope tomorrow is a better day.;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!

I took her in this morning because she was much worse.. Her regular doc was booked so we took a different one.. she looked at me and said "boy I wish you vaccinated her.. she has the flu" NOW normally I would have snapped but in a nice polite tone I said "Um, I don't.. she has never had the flu before and she is 10 years old.. I have had the flu numberous times and she has yet to get it.. she was vaccinated as an infant-toddler.." and that was the end of that convo.. my normal doc would have never said those words to me LOL
She said she has the swine flu. I called the school, they told me that over 60 children were absent with the flu.. WOW. I took Sammi home and I am tending to her.. she gets multiple baths, good food, lots of fluid, motrin and most important some mommy tlc. The only issue I have is that my glands now hurt and I am feeling very yucky.. so I bought some vit-c supplements, some tea and I plan on resting with her.. anyone with Lupus have the swine flu?? I am a bit nervous.. not bc its the "swine" but because the flu and I do not get along well.. the flu is mean to me.. and does not like to leave when its asked to!

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
That's tough luck considering the vaccine has only just become available and takes a couple of weeks to be effective :( Swine flu is hitting the kids especially hard in the UK, one of its special features compared with seasonal flu and it's a major concern especially if they have some existing medical condition.

Several people on the forum have had swine flu and some took Tamiflu and thought its side effects were worse then the flu.

I'll get the swine flu vaccine as soon as it's available to my at risk group. Already had the seasonal flu one.

I hope your daughter makes a speedy recovery and you and the rest of your family escape it.
Good luck
Clare

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Jenna, I hope your daughter gets better soon. Try and get some rest yourself it is exhausting looking after ill children. I hope the flu gives you a break!!!

Deb x

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Omg

I am on hold with the local social services depo asking for a ride to the pediatrician office. Sammi is doing worse today.. the cough is horrible and her sinuses are bad. I felt yucky last night but this morning its all hitting me very hard and very fast. I walked down the street to get OJ and Jello and the rest of the sick people needs - only to walk back in tears because my body feels like its been hit by a train.. and my chest is so sore. I see my gp tomorrow so I feel better about that.. wish us luck..:worried:

·
11,410 Posts
Oh Jenna,:(

It is really tough when the whole household gets sick at the same time.:(
I hope you and Sammi made it to the doctor today.

:grouphug2:
Lyn

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey all. I was very ill for a few days and no one seemed to want to tell me what was wrong.. went to the er and they did a chest xray and started me on zythromax (sp?) .. started it today. My lungs hurt.. its horrible but atleast the chills and fever have gone away.. now if I could only get some energy. Also the Rhuemie (his assistant doctor) told me to start lowering the steroids.. I started 5mg today.. from 7.5mg.. all my blood work came back ok.. have to get more done this week. I ended up waiting outside for over two hours for my cab to pick me up.. UGH anyways I am off to bed once again..

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Jenn

Just wanted to send a bit of empathy. After nursing my little nine year old with what his doc says is Swine Flu, I came down with the same symptoms two days after him. I have been very sick since Saturday. He is definitely feeling a lot better but both of us have a terrible racking cough. My ribs are so very sore from coughing :sad:

Just wanted to send you some hugs and understanding. Its very hard being sick and trying to look after little ones as well. You have a lot on your plate :hugbetter:

Take good care
Joan:rose:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.