The Lupus Forum banner

fevers

854 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  greenhaggis 
Postie,

When you have a fever, it is normally your body's way of telling you that you have an infection be it viral or bacterial. Other people, like ourselves, who have an autoimmune disease, could also relate the fever to a flare. I have found that the best way for me to tell if I needed to see a doc and get any medication would be just how miserable I felt. Now, my white count runs low because I am on immunosuppressants and my medications are working. I'm not sure if you are on any certain medications that would lower your count, but it concerns me that the doctor gave you an antibiotic just because of that. Now, if you feel miserable then by all means, you may need it. Otherwise if you take an antibiotic that you really do not need, your body will build up a tolerance to it and eventually it will not work. Then you will have to go to the next level and so on and before long, you might start running ot of options. Some of the "super drugs" such as Vancomycin are highly expensive and your insurance could refuse to pay for it. Back in 2005, one of my doctors prescribed it to me. Insurance didn't think that I needed it and the cost of the medication would be $1009.00..............talk about heart failure! If you feel miserable, then by all means take your medication. I am not trying to tell you otherwise. When I get my fever, I do notice that my butterfly rash is more pronouced that normal. As for the time of day that a fever reaches its highest, I have found is usually between 3-8 pm. Gotta love those cirrcadium rhythms. Gotta love them. Hope you get to feeling like your old self soon.

Nancy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.