The Lupus Forum banner

fevers

848 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  greenhaggis 
My low grade fevers tend to run 100-100.5 and last a day to several days and on rare occasion a few weeks. I would hesitate to call anything around the 99 mark as a fever, doctors certainly wouldn't consider it a fever. Our temperature normally starts off low upon waking in the morning and rise through the afternoon hours. So some of the fluctuation you see could be your body's natural fluctuation during the course of the day.

I usually have other symptoms when I get the low grade fever, most especially fatigue, joint pain, and a generalized flu-like feeling. I will also most definitely feel too warm too. When all these things combine, then I know it's a lupus flare when it is the familiar pain/fatigue that ratchets up a few notches plus the fever. There are other times when I know it's a viral or bacterial infection (usually get sore throat or sinus pain or GI troubles when it's something else than lupus).

I just ride them out too, and a doctor tends to not prescribe anything for a low grade fever likely due to lupus flare. If you have other symptoms consistent with an infection (sinus pain/headache, sore throat) then you should go in to your GP who will determine if you have a bacterial infection and need antibiotics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.