TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I thought I might share this with you all since some of you may have experienced what I am going through.

Recently my husband has been telling me that I move my legs alot in the middle of the night,, jerking and moving my feet rapidly. All while i'm sound asleep. Well of course i don't remember doing any of this.

Last night he said I was kicking a lot and getting tangled and untangled in the sheets all night long.. He said he felt bad for me because he didn't see how I was getting any sleep at all. This would explain why I have been so tired lately.

On my appointment with my doctor today I expressed my husbands discovery to my doc. He then tells me he wants me to take a sleep study test. He also asked me if i snore. I said yes, what you can't hear me where you live???

Has anyone out here had a sleep study test done??? I have read about it on the internet but would like to hear from a fellow lupie.

Thanks for your replies in advance

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi there,
I can't help you with this one, but I think it is a brilliant idea. Let us know what you discover. I can't keep my legs still(except when heavily drugged):wink2: and was dx'd with Rls very early on(12 yrs ago) I also snore sometimes, but do not have sleep apnea(wore a hrt monitor for 24 hrs.)but I still wake up exhausted. I think I am a wild sleeper all together and not a good wild lol:lol:
I hope you are feeling better soon.

Love,
Becca:)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi Sadie!

I have had several sleep studies done now. Each one of the facilities I went to were a little bit different, but all in all the process was not too bad. :shy: Bring PJ's, not a night gown, for privacy. You will be on candid camera all night.:lens: I also like to bring my own pillow/s.

Most of these studies are to determine if you have sleep apnea - hence the questions about snoring. They will attach a series of eeg leads all over your body - so get ready to be picking glue off for a few days. They will monitor your brain waves, heart and lung rate, body movement, eye movement - you name it, you will be wired up.

You would think it would be impossible to sleep with all this stuff on, but I fell right asleep each time. If they determine that you are experiencing blockages in the night, they will come in at some ungodly hour:late: and put you on a cpap machine to see if it improves your oxygen staturation and general breathing.

:yawn: Beware if you are normally a late sleeper - they can't go home/off shift until they kick all of you in for testing out. They always ask me how I feel/how alert am I when they wake me a 6:30am. I tell them get me some blasted coffee, and ask again in a hour. Alas, it never works! :coffee:

My husband believes in some kind of conspiracy theory about the cpap machines they sell you if you do test positive for apnea, and thinks all doctors are getting a kickback from the manufacturer. He's normally a easy going, intelligent type, but he's off the deep end on this one. :wacko: Maybe he's right.

On the plus side, your nuero will love the eeg results, and can learn all kinds of things from the study. One of the few lab tests that can confirm fibro is a sleep study showing alpha intrusion in the brain wave.

I just take it all with a grain of salt. If my docs want to watch me sleep, well, why not I say! :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I've also had a sleep study done. At mine we each had a seperate individual room that was just big enough for a bed and a tv. They told me to (bring) take whatever medications I normally take at night. I went in at 7:30 pm and left at 5am. I brought my own pillows and a book to read until I fell asleep. A neuologist had suggested the sleep study and I went along with it. Had the study, they came in and unhooked me and sent me home so I figured all was fine and forgot about it.

Three weeks later I was called and told to go back in and get tested for a cpap and then see a (assigned) sleep study doctor afterwards. Turned out that the first night when I thought I sleep fine I had never gotten out of what's called stage 2 sleep. So I never had REM sleep (dreaming) or stage 4 which is when the body repairs itself. I also had very uneven heart rhythems.

The Cpap turned out to be easy to adjust to, particularly after I found the right mask. The first thing I noticed is that my night sweats that I had had for years and years vanished! Evidently I've been fighting to breath all night. I can't say its solved my fatigue problems but I'm just happy to sleep in normal pjs now instead of having to sweat all night. Oh - and they check for restless leg syndrome too.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi

I haven't had a complete inpatient sleep study done but a home jobby that measured the oxygen levels. Mine was so bad (over 30 episodes of stopping breathing an hour and sats down to 70%, eek!) that there was no question of not having sleep apnoea. I have been hooked up to an APAP machine for the last 9 months.

Before APAP I snored dreadfully, was plagued by headaches and could not concentrate. I still have headaches, though vascular and different, I have night sweats and restless legs, but only when I am not too well.

The cause of the sleep apnoea was never discovered as in my old health authority there was no funding for further follow-up: I even had to buy my own APAP machine!

Hope you get on OK with your sleep study. Let us know how you get on.

Love Judi xx

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Becca, Tracey, Jirel and Judi,

Thank you so much for the information,, it is good to know someone out there has been through it. My appt is on the 13th of march. This appt. they say will last and hour. But i'll let you know when they decided to do the actual study.

Thanks again,
Take care

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Sadie,

My daughter just had a sleep study done last night. She is so glad she did. Now there are answers to why she is so exhausted all the time. Sleep apnea isn't the problem. She just never gets into REM sleep. They claim she wakes every two minutes or so. Not only does she move her legs she raises her arms in the air. They also noticed she grabbed areas of her body and her facial expressions were showing pain. Not sure what is going to be done to help but at least she knows it isn't all in her head.

Good luck.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts