TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lupus flares are just plain strange.
Monday afternoon, like lightening out of the blue, my joints began to scream and swell, muscles began fighting one another, and everything hurt including my hair. I suspect you understand.
55 hours later and it was all finished or as finished as it ever gets. I feel "Lupus fine".
The only reason I mention this is in case anyone else has had something similar.
Unless I am nuts (as well I may be:lol:) this is the most clear-cut, discreet and singular Lupus flare I have ever had and I am very grateful that it is history now.
Douglas+

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
That doesn't sound nice at all Douglas but I'm very glad to hear that it is over :)

Let's hope you go a long time before having another one.

Katharine

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Douglas,

I don't think you are mad, and not alone either. In the beginning this was my typical flare (pre diagnosis, early disease stage), then things got worse and longer untill treatment was sorted out. Not I'm pretty much OK most of the time, but I had a short flare a couple of months ago - suddenly felt awful (for me it was about a week), then just as suddenly better. It was a bit wierd after having gotten used to the long struggles.

The other possibility for both of us, and others too of course is that what we think is a flare is actually a viral infection. I really can't tell the difference symtom wise sometimes!

Take care,

X C X

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi Douglas,

I dont think you are mad... I have had the same experience in the past... Blamed it on the weather thinking it was my RA...
I am glad you are feeling better... I bet you are glad that this one is behind you...And I hope you dont have another one for a long long time...

Take care

:love2: love Penny

·
The one and only
1,978 Posts
Hey Douglas..... Sorry to hear about your flare.... that sounds about right.... my last flare was like that... I woke up on a Sunday and felt like I had been hit by a mac truck... my joints were swollen... couldn't move my hands... knees hurt etc... but by Monday Night, early Tuesday I was back to "lupus" fine (love that term and will be stealing it from you:rotfl:)....

But you are right they are plain strange and they attack when you least expect it. Hope you are feeling well now....

I wonder if the summer heat is doing this to us...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey Douglas,

Ouch, ouch and ouch...! Your sudden lupus "attack" sounds very painful indeed...!

It's very, very good that it's over! Fingers crossed it never comes back!

Zoi

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Douglas

Strangely a similar thing happened to me last Saturday (must be in the air;)). I woke up early Saturday morning and couldn't walk with the swelling and pain which was mostly concentrated on the inside of my left knee. I literally hobbled and hopped from the sofa to the kitchen all day - couldnt put my leg to the floor without a huge amount of pain. I maxed out all day on painkillers - Solpodol and Zydol (co-codomol and Tramadol) but they didnt seem to touch the pain. Mind you they did help me doze through a lot of it!

The pain lasted about 36 hours and then suddenly disappeared! I was left with an aching knee but at least I could walk and drive the car.

Strange business indeed. Glad you are feeling 'Lupus fine' :)

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I often have days when I feel like that, up one minute and down the next, even the cat walking over me when I am sitting down is painful. As for brushing my hair I look like the wild woman of borneo as its just too painful to even think about putting a brush near my scalp. I think we can all relate to what you are saying.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you

I cannot tell you how grateful I am for all your comments.
Having wracked my brain for a cause I came up with nothing. Nada. Rien. Nichts.
I mentioned this to my long-suffering wife who gave me the patented "I am looking at a really immature stupid human being" look and said one word: "Lupus."
Why I find it easier to find explanations other than the obvious one is a mystery, but just part of the denial in which I am such an expert.
Still Lupus fine; hoping the same for all of you!
Douglas+

1 - 9 of 9 Posts