The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got my first appeal in for my first denial. They claimed that they had requested additional information from me and not recieved it. Liars. Nothing that had been sent to me had not been sent back. I'm going to be much more careful about recording everything this time. The local office is rather nice, it was the medical section that claimed they didn't get everything back. I may just make the trip down to the local office and hand everything in by hand this time around.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear you were denied... :(

Handing everything by hand and maybe even getting the name of the person you handed everything to sounds like a nice idea. :)

Hope everything goes extra smoothly for you with your appeal,

:flowery:

Zoi

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Jirel,
The LFA office here advised against doing any of the visits to the office in person, and my atty agreed. The rational was that if you don't appear disabled, and sle mostly is invisible, that the office can use that you were able to come in, were able to walk around, and able to etc.... Then, when the appeal comes up, they can use those "abilities" against you.
I agree with the rational about documenting everything, and that it makes sense to hand deliver things. But, not if it creates problems above what you have already.

The one thing I wish I had done, was to document, document, document. Be as verbose as you can, and describe each little thing in elaborate detail. Use as many pages as you need, and describe in detail how each setback affected you and your health and what it took to come back to where you were initially. If ever you can get back. The people who did this, were most often approved the first time they applied.

Good luck with your appeal,
Sally

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for the advice. Sally, the girl that filled out the forms for me was adding that I walked with a cane, which I hadn't even thought of because I've been doing it for years. So in this case going in person actually helped out, but I can understand what you're saying.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Florida SSD tries to set it up so you can't complete what they require of you. I recived documents on the 22nd that were dated the 16th and not mailed until the 19th telling me that I had to return them in 10 days - not buisiness days (ie Dec 26th) or else the decision would be delayed OR MADE WITHOUT THE INPUT OF THE DOCUMENTATION - which is what they did to me the first time. Note that by getting them on the 22nd I had 4 days to return them, two of whcih are holidays (the post office said nothing was going out on the 24th). I had to pay $19.95 to get the paperwork there in time. I will print out the record on the post office site of when it arrives and is signed for, and I'm keeping the envelope with the post mark on it in case I ever have to go to court.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Jirel,

I'm am so sorry you are having to deal with this. Who filled out the forms, was it somebody at the SS office?

I am wondering, too, if you have gotten a statement from your psychologist. I think that it helps a lot if the troubles you have had psychologically as a result of the disease are documented. My psychologist dx'd me with vegetative depression.

I hired an attorney first thing because I was too sick to deal with the forms and was approved on my first try. The amount I had to pay my atty was very low since the approval came thru so quick.

If I had to do it again I would hire an atty right away. They are less likely to treat an atty the way they are treating you now. I just can't imagine the stress you are going thru.

·
Administrator
10,183 Posts
Prior to applying I read all the sites I could so I could avoid any pitfalls. One site recommended sending the packet back with a signature required. I was able to track it online and there was no way they could claim they didn't get it.

Good luck with your appeal.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks both of you for your advice. I don't have a psychologist anymore (in years), didn't want to pay the extra $50 for each visit - its a lot of money when you start adding everything up. I filled out the second set of forms, I didn't have time to do anything else. I picked them up in the afternoon and mailed them in the morning.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to check and make sure they arrived on the 26th by looking it up online.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts