The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after several years and many doctors, I finally got an answer. I have officially been diagnosed with early stage Lupus. I am actually happy. I feel validated and like someone believes that I am not a hypochondraic. I am going to be put back on Plaquinil and begin low doses of prednisone to prevent flair ups. Yes, I am happy. I am being treated. I am believed. I am going to be fine. I feel more relaxed that I have in a long time. I know that it is strange, but I now feel more at peace than I have in a long time. :p

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi there . 'Congratulations' on your diagnosis.

It's not at all strange that you feel at peace with the news especially after such a long journey towards diagnosis. Many of us here understand the feeling of being validated.

Dont be surprised however to face a range of emotions over the coming months :hugbetter: as the realisation dawns that this is a chronic disease that will be there for life.

Your doctor is not technically correct when he says 'early stage Lupus' although its a phrase thats sometimes used to explain Lupus which hasnt yet attacked any major organs. Lupus doesn't have 'stages' in the way some other diseases have. Its not a progressive disease. Many people will live their lives with a relatively easy course with their disease while others will not be so lucky. Its hard to say what will happen and thats the unpredictability of it.

What is important is that the disease activity is controlled as quickly and as aggresively as possible so that it limits the possibility of more serious damage. I hope the Plaquenil helps you this time - I know from your previous posts that it didnt do much for you at the time. The low dose prednisone should also help your symptoms. Are you still suffering from weight loss?

I hope things settle down for you soon. If you have any questions about meds or symptoms or anything at all feel free to post!

Take good care
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello kcmmem,

Great news!! You must be relieved to have answers at last :trampo:

I hope that the treatment kicks in as quickly as possible for you. The prednisolone should act quickly and give you some relief.

Katharine

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, jo, I gained a little weight back after being on high doses of prednisone for a flair up. I lost a few pounds but I am sure that I will gain a bit more and it will even out after being on the steroids. I suspected Lupus for so long that I think that i have already experienced the anger and fear. I am sure I will get angry and depressed during flairs, but at least now, I have a dr that will see me and understand what is going on. I still have a few negative test results, but she ran a double stranded DNA antibody test to confirm it all. She is hoping that she caught it early enough to prevent further development and damage. It is amazing how ill I sometimes feel compared to how "light" my lupus is. I cannot imagin having full blown strongly positive lupus. I am hoping we caught it eary enough to keep it at bay. I can barely make it through during my flair ups.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the board.

I am sorry about your dx but understand being happy when you have a name to place with all of your symptoms and can get on with taking meds and feeling better.

Hope to get to know you better. Come join us in chat sometime.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Hello kcmmem,welcome , im glad you fel better knowing now whats going on with you, and going to get the right treatment

take care
Lin x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts