The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yaaaay! Hi all, hope you are all well x
Just been to the GP due to yet more knee, hip and wrist pain. I am obviously concerned as I am now pg again after 4 losses. Anyway, I took photos last night of my blotchy 'rash' and my swollen knees, he said it's a concern so is now finally referring me to a rheumatologist! :eek:
It will take about 8 weeks, so he says. I can't take any medication Rxed by him due to the clexane and obviously pregnancy, but I think I will manage - I have to, only hot water bottles and icepacks until I see the rheumy. Which would be the best do you think? Stupid that I never thought of it before, duh!
Roll on 8 weeks! Bet it will be the longest 2 months of my life lol
Thanks again for all the support xx
Rhi xxx

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
hello rhi

I'm so pleased you're being referred that's wonderful news!
Congratulations on your pregnancy too..
I'm sure you are feeling both excited & nervous.I'm so sorry about your miscarriages and I pray that everything goes well for you this time.
are you being closely monitored rhi?

regarding ice packs..personally I use ice ones for when my joints are hot & swollen but when I am just (just!ha! ) experiencing painful joints I prefer heat on them..I think it's a case of trial & error :)

I hope your daughter is keeping well too,good luck with the rest of her results.
hug's to you both :grouphug2:
take care & keep well rested :) karen x

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi rhi, I'm glad that you finally have a first Rhuemy appt. The eight weeks will go by fast as long as you dont think about it too much. I do hope that you get a Rheumy that you like and you come back with some answers and something that you can take for your pain. Let us know what happens when you get home. Take special care of your self, you are carrying a special package. Be well.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Rhi

Thats really good news about the referral. Lets hope this is the start to getting answers and feeling better. Congratulations on your pregnancy by the way. I sincerely hope everything goes okay. Im sure you must be nervous with your history but hopefully the clexane will make the difference this time.

Set yourself up with some alternative therapies like relaxation CD's, nice, safe oil aromas and perhaps you could also buy one or two of those heat bags that you can heat in the microwave? Like Karen says its a bit of trial and error as to what works for you. For me, its definitely the heat that helps the pain but Im talking about the pain from fibro.

Another handy tip is to buy a couple of pairs of tights and cut off the legs and fill them up to size with dry rice. Just tie off the top. These can be heated over and over again in the microwave and are very pliable so can be moulded around the painful area. They're cheap too:) Just be careful of two things:

Dont overheat them - otherwise the rice will burn
Dont get them wet - if you do you may as well just add them to a bowl of curry!

I have a few different ones and they are still going strong since last year.

Best of luck and let us know how you are

Take care
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi rhi! As far as your question about heat or ice ,personally I get the most relief by rotating between the two,also I use moist heat because for me it is more soothing than dry.I hope this helps you out.:bigsmile: GOOD LUCK,PATTI

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all xx Yes i should be closely monitored in this pregnancy, though when I saw my consultant last week, it was 2 hours after my appointment time so I felt totally rushed and had no time to ask him questions iygwim. I do have another appointment in 8 days, along with a scan, and a dating scan a week and a half after that. When I last miscarried the midwife at the hospital told me that close monitoring and regular scans alone can reduce the chance of miscarriage as it puts the mum at ease iygwim (obviously if there are no underlying problems) so I hope to see someone regularly.
I have been worried sick with my pains as I had them when I lost my last little one, but after seeing the GP I am feeling more confident that the pains are due to whatever condition I have and not due to an impending loss.
What should I expect at my first rheumy appointment? What if I'm not flaring at the time, would they still believe me?

Thanks for the tips! Shall try them out, I used to love using aromatherapy oils a few years ago, my partner hates them though lol
I tried an ice pack on Friday when my knees were hot and throbbing, the ice felt like it was burning my kneecaps, maybe it was too cold lol Tried hot water bottle last night and it was pretty good, doesn't take the pain away but it took the edge off it.

Have to say, this is the longest continuous flare I've had, it's been 9 days now, I usually have a good few pain free days but not this time! Is this common in pregnancy?

Thanks again all, and thank you Karen for the well wishes for my little girl, still haven't had any more results back, I guess that's good news though. Thankfully she hasn't complained about her knees for a week or so, looks like I'm having the pain for her lol of course I'd rather have her pain than her having them herself.
Hope you're all well and wishing you all lots of pain-free happy days xxx
Love Rhi xxx

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Rhi

Can you please answer me something? What does iygwim mean? Its written twice in your post

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oops, so sorry Joan, I must really stop abbreviating! It's 'if you get what I mean' x
Rhi xxx

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Ah I see. Thanks for explaining that Rhi. Text abbreviations are against the guidelines because they can exclude members who dont understand them or for whom english isnt their first language. Best to save them for close friends or personal messages.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
hi again rhi :)

I am glad to hear you are being closely monitored & best of luck with your appointment & scan :luck:

hopefully your symptoms will settle down as your pregnancy progresses.I was extremely lucky as my lupus went into remission though my pregnancies although I think the severe morning sickness I suffered was nearly as bad :lol: I had to be hospitalised a few times due to it.

I would suggest writing a list of all your sympotms for your rheumy appointment.It's so easy to forget once you are the there!also your past medical history etc.

joans relaxation tips are a great idea rhi especially as you have the added worry of your daughter at the moment so you really need to take care of yourself.. I also loved aromatherapy but unfortunately can't use them now as they flare my skin up.remember to check as joan said that the oils are safe..I do remember being warned that they are very potent & you have to be extra careful.so please check with your doctor first.

I'm so glad to hear your daughter's knee pain has eased!fingers crossed it stays that way & hopefully it was just a virus.please keep us updated on her results.

I hope you feel better soon rhi,take good care of yourself & please let us know how you & your daughter are..will keep you both in my thought's
:hug: best wishes..karen x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts