The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I've got my first appt with my rheummy tomorrow, hospital rang me this morning and offered me first thing in the morning, tomorrow!!! Needless to say I grabbed it!

The only thing I'm bothered about is that I'm not in a flare at the moment. Apart from being tired and having some headaches and a bit of joint pain I'm not to bad. I'm really worried that my blood tests will come back inconclusive and I'll be labelled as a hypochondriac.

What are other folks experiences of first appts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi

Hi, when i had my first appointment i wasn't having a flare up either and they told me my blood test results pointed towards lupus. I was asked alot of questions and they said from what i told them and the blood result i have lupus.

I hope the appointment goes well for you and that they are able to help you feel better. I have found the trouble with this Lupus thing is alot of the time it's invisable and i personally have been feeling 'unwell' to varying degress the last 4 years. I too used to think the docotrs thought i was a hypocondriac. Finger crossed you have the same experience tomorrow as i did.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, really helpful thoughts for me.

I went and saw the rheummy. Who didn't really say a lot. Spent quite a bit of time with him, with him checking my joints, asking loads of questions etc. Also had a medical student in there which made it quite interesting.

He sent me off to have bloods taken - 8 tubes of the stuff!!!! On the blood forms some of them said ?SLE? so it looks like he's thinking the same way. Also went for hands, feet and chest xrays.

Got to go back in 6 - 8 weeks but this consultant will have gone by then and I'll be seeing someone new *sigh* but at least I have got this far.

No real indications yet and he did say if I was managing on the diclofenac (which I'm not) he'd leave me on it, so I don't really know where I stand now.

I started another flare up last Friday after being at the hospital, and my raynauds was particularly nasty, ended up dropping a full pint of coke at the pub friday night. Lost a bit of sensation in my hands and my joints were bad and it just slipped out. Worried my husband quite a bit and got me upset but onwards and upwards!!!!

Take care everyone

x

·
Registered
217 Posts
Holding cold drinks can be a right pain (literally!) with raynauds. I usually only pick them up when I'm actually drinking, or if you're standing in a pub and have to hold onto your drink I wear gloves or use the sleeve of my top. Or if things get really desperate, there's always the dash to the loo stick your hands under the hot tap trick. The last one can be painful though, and if you do it too often you're just asking for chillblains...

Good luck with your results :wink2:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Fairy, as always in life everything you do has a catch......

Was there years ago with Chilblains, when I was a kid. I found taking yeast tablets really helped with them. If anyone has them give that a try, it may not work for everyone but for me it did and was so much better than the chilblain tablets that used to give me hot flushes age 8!!!!!! :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Maz, I am sorry your Consultant is moving on. Do not be too surprised if the x rays do not show much. That can be the case with SLE also many people do not get much swelling.
Coke eh? Sticky stuff hope the floor wasn't carpeted!
x Lola

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LolaLola;522625 said:
Hello Maz, I am sorry your Consultant is moving on. Do not be too surprised if the x rays do not show much. That can be the case with SLE also many people do not get much swelling.
Coke eh? Sticky stuff hope the floor wasn't carpeted!
x Lola
Oh it was....... Other half had his best leather jacket on too - oops!!!!!:lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts