The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really not sure what steps to take next, so need a little advice! I really have no idea what constitues a flare becoming worse.

I do have what I consider viral symptoms - ear, nose, throat inflammed/sore, ulcers in my throat and a high temp. This has been going on for a few days. Prior to this I have had occassional ear aches and headaches and mucas has been green in colour although I do not have a cold!

The only other symptom that is not normal to virus is that my hand pain has been so bad at times I can't even dress my youngest child or fasten him into his car seat!

I do know that my anti ds-dna were still raised although not majorly high when bloods were recently taken. Also in Dec 2007 when I was diagnosed with SLE I had uclers, high temp as well as sinusitis.

I feel a bit paranoid about going to the GP just to be told I have a virus. Plus most of my GP's have no idea how to really identify a flare with Lupus!

Thanks in advance!

Lelsey

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Green mucus - at the least you have a sinus infection. It won't clear up without antibiotics and I believe this could be aggrevating your normal Lupus symptoms (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) You need to see a doctor about the sinus infection.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spoke to Practise Nurse a little while ago! I can get to see my normal GP tomorrow for a check-up, just in case I have a bacterial infection!

In the meantime she has asked me to ask for help identifying those blood test that they can run to help identify to me and them whether my body is flaring more. I know it sounds strange but I'm the only person they have that has Lupus and say they are on just as much a learning curve as me. They will do bloods because they think it will help for the future to identify those symptoms unique to me that are connected to the Lupus flaring!

I have put a call into my Immunologist and if I'm lucky may hear from him tonight, if not lucky over the next few days!

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I'm in shock, my Immunologist did phone back!

He said it sounds like I do have viral/bacterial infection that is aggrevating the Lupus to flare more! He said he will phone my GP to go through treatment, probably Steriods and sleeping pills (as I last time I did not sleep hardly at all for 2 weeks!), and a more tapered finish (as I had bad withdrawals last time).

Also they will do more bloods to enable myself/GP and Immunologist to check viral symptoms against bloods!

So I have a GP appointment tomorrow and an emergency Immunologist appointment on Monday - just hope this good service keeps up!

Lesley

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi Lesley

My goodness!that's efficiency for you :lol:

I am so glad you are able to see both your GP & your immunologist so quickly!

It seems to me that your immunologist (that's a mouthful :lol: ) is being very thorough,that must be reassuring :)

I hope you feel much better soon :fingers: ..sending you big healing hug's lesley :there: :hug:
take care
luv karen x

·
Registered
96 Posts
hi!!

hi lesley

sorry to hear you are feeling so rough, glad you are getting a good response from the docs etc....let us know how you get on

annie x

·
Registered
468 Posts
:there: My goodness it sounds like you feel miserable, beyond that, but I am glad to hear that your docs are getting on the ball to learn more about you and help you through this current crisis. Let us know how you are getting on. (((HUGS)))

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello everyone, thank you for your kind caring words - they mean alot!

I'm back from the GP after being issued with Pred 10mg (14 day supply), Diazepam to take at night (last time I did not sleep even on this low dose and life was a nightmare). I'm not sure how long this course of steroids will last. My GP did manage to speak to the Immunologist who has said he will be increasing the Pred dose on Monday!

GP was excellent and I even managed to get bloods done there and then at the visit (by the nurse). Can't remember which basic ones, but they are to help indicate virus. Plus, they are also testing C3/C4 and anti ds-dna. Results will be back my next Thursday. I'm glad that I am being treated though as I have been finding it hard to be constantly midly viral, leading to other worse symptoms.

My temp is hard to keep under control as I can only take paracetamol (can't use and NSAID's). I really need to take every 4 hours round the clock but obviuosly thats not allowed! Even with a temp of 99.5 I can't get warm which is really unusual as I don't normally get the shivers until 101 temp.

I still have my emergency Immunologist appointment on Monday - luckily I live very close by to the hospital.

Take care everyone and thanks again for your comments!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update - Yes It Was Flare And Infection!

Immunologist visit went well - I have infection and flare!

My ESR and CRP levels were not text book for my problems in fact they were the opposite, instead of being higher they were lower!!!! My Immunologist says he can't really trust these ones in future!!

I have a chest infection, now taking antibiotics - 1st one I ever had, I did wonder why my breathing was bad over the weekend! Sputem and urine test done. Hopefully they will not show up anything else.

Follow-up appointment in May.

Love Lesley

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi lesley

I am glad to hear your appointment went well!
sorry to hear you do have a flare & a chest infection :sad:..... but on the bright side at least you now know & the fact that you have been treated quickly should work in your favour towards a speedy recovery :fingers:

I hope you are getting plenty of rest & TLC lelsley!....hmmm you are probably saying wishful thinking!!:hehe: us mums are not allowed to be sick :)

take good care lesley & I hope you feel better soon
:hug: luv karen x

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
karen.w.;505546 said:
I hope you are getting plenty of rest & TLC lelsley!....hmmm you are probably saying wishful thinking!!:hehe: us mums are not allowed to be sick :)

:hug: luv karen x

(((((Karen))))) Too right, wishful thinking - best not to do that to often! Thanks for your nice wishes!

I think I was saved a visit to A&E purely by using my childrens ventolin inhailers!! Not that I want another chest infection, but at least I will know the signs (felt like a had a tiger purring inside:lol: ), plus of course lack of oxygen:hehe: . The thought of organising a nightime trip to A&E is stressful to say the least - either I would have had to fit to drive which I was not: or I would have to call an Amubulance (the neighbours would get curtain twitchy); or all 4 kids would have to be woken so my husband could drive me their dragging them along.

Any how I'm struggling and sputtering along and can't have long conversations which is probably a godsend for those people I annoy! Anti-biotics don't seem to have kicked in yet, hoping to see more improvement tomorrow - probably whould not have gone food shopping today, but supplies were very low!

Love Lesley

1 - 12 of 12 Posts