The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve not posted for a while as life seems to be passing me by at the moment!

Due to a major flare caused by an allergic reaction to pain meds I’m back on pred. Rheumy took one look at me and realised how ill I was. GP made it blatantly clear he didn’t agree with his decision!

Anyway a couple of questions someone might be able to help with...

I’ve just had an op, which my rheumy expressed some doubts about, but wouldn’t tell me what they were, and said it was ok provided it was only a local anaesthetic ... It might have been useful to know what his reservations were as I reacted really badly to the sedation with my blood pressure dropping so low that I stopped breathing. I should add that the hospital didn’t tell me I was going to be sedated!

I’m basically scheduled to be in and out of hospital over the next year for a series of ops, but am now really scared about how I’ll handle it physically.

Has anyone been given reasons why they shouldn’t have general anaesthetics?

The other problem is that I can’t eat. I was kind of hoping the pred might kick start my appetite, but alas not. I just don't eat. I know this isn’t helping me as my liver count is below normal, my sodium is low and my RBC has been dropping each month and is now also below normal. Any suggestions? I know that I have to try to eat, but it’s easier said than done.

I don’t want to go and see GP as I really haven't got the energy and know he won't do anything!

Sorry for rambling

Precious

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
From my experience any operation (even dental procedures) needs an increase in steroids. I think you should consult your Rheumy about this before any more surgery.
Hope this helps.
x Lola

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
(((((Precious)))))

I am so sorry for all that your going through at the moment. Scary what happened to you after sedation. I have not been told that I can not be sedated however after my last surgery in July 2007 I swore that I would NEVER have another surgery again.

I had major surgery that lasted about 6 hours and was placed in ICU for one day post op. After that they moved me into a step down unit. When they moved me the same thing happened to me. BP dropped and I could not breath. All I remember is 12 white coats in my room frantically trying to figure out what was going wrong with me.

To this day I never really got any concrete answers yet it scared me so bad that it left me with what I call a post tramatic stress disorder if I think about that day too much. I have never been that scared in all my life and I had many, many surgeries prior to this one.

I don't know what to tell you but can share in the fact that I know this left you scared and wondering why this happened. For me moving forward, they can bury me before they cut me again.

I wish you well and know that your not alone with what happened. I hope you get your Lupus under better control. Good to see you post.:wink2:

·
Registered
217 Posts
You're not alone with the appetite problem, mine always disappears when I'm in a flare, in fact its one of my earliest signs that there's something wrong. The good news is that it always comes back when the lupus settles down. To try and avoid losing too much weight, I try and eat small amounts of high calorie food as often as I can manage - it doesn't always work though, I once lost about a stone and a half in six weeks... Oh, and pred has never increased my appetite; I find it very difficult to put weight back on.

Can't help with the anaesthetic question, I've had two, and didn't have any issues (apart from a bit of a flare afterwards, but I think that was more down to the procedure than the drugs).

:hehe:

·
Administrator
7,567 Posts
Hi, sorry you are having such a rough time. Can the consultant who is dealing with the ops not liase with your rheumy? Or could your rheumy write to the consultant?

As to your appetite could you not try the drinks that have all the nutrients in, you get them from the chemist, can't remember what they are called.

When is your next rheumy appt?

Take care

Deb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts