The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone else has had flares where your joint pain stays mostly the same as before? I think I am flaring but my joint pain is only a bit worse than normal. Usually when I flare my joint pain gets worse also. This time I am extremely fatigued, edema is up, glands are swollen and fingers are puffy. I have even been taking long afternoon naps which I haven't done for awhile now. I often will dose off in my recliner watching TV but this is going straight to the bedroom and falling off to sleep.

I have even been getting to bed earlier despite one night not even taking my Nortryptaline. I have been waking up more often during the night at least part of the nights this past week or so. I often wake up every 3-4 hours to use the toilet but some recent nights I have been waking every hour to hour and a half. It could be argued that I simply am not getting enough sleep.

I do see my rheumy next Monday but I am curious what other people experience with their flares. My last flare-up the prednisone did a good job of knocking it down for awhile but maybe this is all part of the same flare. Just strange for me not to have a major increase in pain.

Thanks,
Karen

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi Karen,
Nothing useful to share here but I hope you can get some explanation and help and that you'll feel much better very soon
Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hi Karen, sorry to hear you're feeling worse. I know I'm flaring when I hit a fatigue wall an hour or two after getting out of bed in the morning. From there, I typically run a fever off and on, get sores in nose and mouth and will ache badly. I don't usually associate flares with increased pain. That seems to be separate. Although, if my fever goes high enough then pain levels all over will definitely get worse. But the typical flare is more body than pain .... does that make sense? It's sick and always responds to pred -- shot or a taper pack.

Dunno if that answers any questions. But I hope you have relief soon from your current problems.

Sunny

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Karen,:hug:
I am so sorry that you are flaring. I have joint pain all the time-flare or no flare, so I am no help really. I think my fatigue level is much higher when in the a flare. I also find it very interesting about the fact you are up going to the bathroom more than your normal. Are you showing signs of a uti or kidney infection? Both of those certainly would make you feel awful. I just hope you can a answer from your dr.

Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello
Sorry t hear you are having trouble.
We have found that we can not count on a falre ver taking a certain path.
With my wife it seems to change from time to time. We have seen many diferent types.
She may have joint pain as you mentioned one time, swelling and edema the next, skin lessions another time.

Do not be real suprised to see it take on a new form that you have not seen before.

With edema if in the feet elevating them can help. Put a pillow under them when you are in bed and try to get them as high as possible.
What you can stand and still sleep seems to be more the key here.

With edema they may decide to run some addtional tests to insure you are not having trouble in other areas.
They may also look at the medications you are taking and try and adjust the levels if you aretaking one that can have a side effect of causeing edema.

With waking more frequently to use restroom they will probably want to run some blood and urine tests to make sure you are not having trouble in that area.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses so far.

On my Edema the latest answer was my medications which doesn't make sense to me since my meds didn't change and yet last August or thereabouts I started needing my diuretics on a daily basis. Kidneys, lungs and heart have been ruled out.

My bladder issues are caused by the Dysautonomia that was added to my diagnosis list at the end of last year. Not sure if the bladder is actually the issue waking me up on the short span nights as I don't always get up out of bed when it has just been 1 - 1.5 hours.

I am glad in a way to hear that others flare without joint pain increasing which means maybe I'm not crazy. Becca I am always in pain too but the intensity of the pain normally gets worse when I flare, especially in my feet.

Another thought is that I had an infected ingrown toenail that I had removed last Thursday. I am on anti-biotics for a week to make sure the infection hasn't spread. I was rx'd keflex 500mg capsules so I know it is a strong anti-b. I wonder if the infection could be causing problems? Or if the infection triggered the flare?

Thanks,
Karen

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Karen,:hug:
I do think your infection might be a reason to what is going on. I think when we have infections, we do suffer more than usual.

I sure hope your kidneys, heart and lungs are okay. I hope the anti biotics kick in and you start to feel better real soon.

I wish we didn't have to suffer from chronic joint pain, because it truly BITES!!! :(

I am sending get well wishes :hugbetter:

Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
(((((Karen)))))

I am so sorry to hear you are flaring :sad: I am glad you are seeing your rheumy monday I hope he can help.

karen I just want to let you know that although I experience joint pain daily I have also had episodes were I feel flared up for weeks but the joint pain has stayed the same.I always thought it was a virus in the past before I knew the symptoms of lupus.

also karen, I do agree it could possibly be the infection in your toe that has triggered it,making your body work harder than usual to fight the infection.....Although on the contrary if I have an infection it usually lays off the lupus for a little while,however that was a good few years back not sure if that would be the case anymore.:rolleyes:

anyway karen I do hope you feel better soon...please let us know how you get on.
sending you a big soothin hug :hug:
take care..karen x

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
(((((((((Karen))))))))) I hope you feel better soonest :hugbetter:

My flares vary widely as to what hurts, often my joint pain is worse, but sometimes not for long and then something else takes over. Maybe the Enbrel is kicking that part of it down for you more than usual, which would be good :) ;)

take care,
love
Lily

1 - 9 of 9 Posts