The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure that many of you here that live in the United States are readily aware of the steady surge of rain that has hit the Midwest. For those that are not familiar, we are facing yet another historical event. We have experienced so much rain either on a local level or from up river on the Mississippi River. This flooding has affected so many different people on many different levels. There have been and are yet to be many people up and down the river that have already or will be losing their homes. There will also be many that will lose their places of business either on a temporary basis or worse yet, forever. There will also be people that will be out of work because roads or bridges will be closed.

I live in Quincy, Illinois which is located on the Mississippi River as well as being boarded by Iowa and Missouri. The rains from North of us in Wisconsin are starting to be felt here. In our tri-state area, we have roads closed, buisnesses closed, people out of their homes. We have crops that have been lost while other croplands are being fought for on a 24/7 basis. We have roads and bridges that either have been or will be closed. People will have to either find an alternative way to school and work or simply lose their jobs. Those people who have the ability to find a way to work using a different route will not only have to add more comute time to their day, but more gas in their tanks giving the meaning price gouging a new meaning.

While my home is not in any way in danger of the direct river water, our lively hood is in jeopardy. If the water breeches our water treatment plant meaning we could lose any and all water for our city. If it gets there, it could also reach our waste treatment plant causing some major problems as well. It will also effect our local economy. By closing roads and bridges, we are effectively decreasing the amount of revenue being brought into our community.

Tomorrow my children and I will be going to our local civic center with hundreds of others to help fill sandbags that will be used to save buisnesses, homes, parks, roads, etc. Fortunately we will be inside as I cannot handle to much heat, but mainly because it has been raining here most of the night and more rain forcasted for Friday and part of the weekend. We will be given a gift that is so rare and priceless. People banning together, putting aside their differences, their jobs, their health issues for the greater good.....thinking of someone else. It never ceases to amaze me at how selfless people can be. No matter what we may think about others, the human race is basically good at heart.

So, during our time of absolute disaster here in Quincy as well as up and down the Mississippi River, please take a moment out of your busy lives and pass along a bit of kindness, It doesn't matter how big or how small you may think something you can do is remember that every bit of kindness leaves a wonderful mark on someone else and encourages them to "pay it forward".

Nancy

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
You and all the people in the affected areas are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay safe and keep yourself well.

Stephanie

·
Registered
117 Posts
I feel for you right now

I donated to the Red Cross the other day but could only give what I could. I have been watching the news too and it's just terrible. So many areas have been involved too. Not just one city but several states. Mother nature has sure done a punch on many areas this year. Myanmar, China and now in the US with flooding. I really feel for you. Really do!
I agree though! If everybody could just do one little thing, that would mean a world of difference. Even if it's a $1.00 donation between millions of people it could make a big difference for many families all over the world. And for those that can't afford $1.00 just a simple blanket or piece of clothing you don't use in your home could help another person out! One can of food at a local food bank. Anything donated can help a family! I have prayers not just for the flood victoms but everyone that has suffered tragedy this year. Even the tornado victoms too!

·
Registered
642 Posts
This has received little or no news coverage here in England.

I'm sending my best wishes to all those whose lives are disrupted and whose futures are uncertain.
It seems that there is always some part of our world currently under attack from our increasingly bizarre weather.

Take good care of yourself Nancy

·
Registered
869 Posts
It is several states that are affected. I have lived in Indiana all of my life and have never seen flooding like this. They are saying it is the worst ever. The amount of tornados in the midwest this year so far has far exceded any other year on record. 2 weeks ago a town in my county was basically wiped off the face of the Earth by a EF3 tornado. Everyday, for a long time now, it seems has been following a pattern of severe damaging storms and tornados followed by heavy downpour. My mom got trapped at work(36 hrs.) in a town that doesn't flood, til now. Several friends have lost their homes, and their places of work were destroyed. Most people didn't have flood insurance, and the few who did are having a horrible time getting them to pay. Government assistance (FEMA), other than the Coast Gaurd and National Gaurd and Marines, which have been great here, takes several months, so people are really needing help from the Red Cross and other charities. When all this water gets into the Ohio and Missisipi rivers, it is going to be horrible beyond belief.
Nancy, thanks for doing your part with the sandbagging. It is hard work though so be careful. I hope you stay high and dry and your jobs are spared.

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
HI Nancy i will also be thinking of you all I know in Scotland that we complaine about our weather not hot enough or to cold but we have never had anything like what is happening to you all so i wish you all the best with the work that you are doing and i do hope that you all stay safe Elisabeth

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Nancy,:hug:
Thank you for all the information. I am truly sorry for all that you going through. I know your community will be blessed by your kindness.
Please make sure to not overdo it and be sure to have all of your needs taken care of. Please post pics if you can. My family and I will be praying for your lovely family.:)
You know you can always come and visit sunny southern California:wink2:
I always complain about it being too hot, but I am grateful to not be in the position the midwest is in.
Please keep us posted!!!!

Your Friend,
Becca

·
Registered
150 Posts
Flood loss, all over

Hi Nancy
thankyou for keeping us posted with the flooding around you and in your states. Here in Australian tv and papers we see what you are saying.
I'm sorry for you and your neighbours and friends.

It is sad that we cannot predict the weather, whether we have too little rain or too much. Wind, rain and fire do affect us so much.
Four months ago here in Mackay on the east North Queensland coast a flood for a lifetime rose in thousands of homes. I listened for 3 hours, as thudding rain in early dark morning, radio for news- nearly a metre in 5 hours. At 8.30am my daughter 3 km away rang to say the four of them were in a highhome opposite as a metre and half had swept through their home, and they just got across the road.

Yes, it is so hard for all. Plaster boards ripped out, and eventually insurance paid for vehicles, household goods if lucky, some Govt help. There are still people just getting back to homes. Our flood appeal is just closing.

If we aren't affected we are so lucky. So we should help if we can. In some areas here, people doorknocked to offer any kind of help. Nancy, thankyou for bringing your area of the world some kind of recognition for those in the world affected by the weather. Take care, and take heart for the future.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Dear Nancy

I am very sorry to hear about all this sadness and trauma happening in your community. :sad: I hope that your efforts and that of your friends and neighbours will ease the suffering of those who have lost so much

Thinking of you in these dark hours

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Nancy

I do already know what you mean about the flooding.I am not in harms way directly either but am worrying about the many here in norther illinois how bad things are getting once again for them here and all over the midwest.I am on the top of a hill but have family that there house are looking like they could be in harms way also.

You are so right that everyone of us are wonderful caring people amd can put aside our differences if we really want to.It does not matter wether or not weo go fill sand bags to giving what we can to the red cross or helping feed the ones that have no home to go back to it just does not matter big or small we are helping out for sure.

Thank you for reminding us how precious life really is.:)

Tammy

·
Registered
86 Posts
prayers

in florida here we need rain but , our hearts and prayers go out to the famlies in our northern states and the families of the 4 boy scouts who lost their lives and to all who have been devistated by this weather...stay strong, you are in our prayers......Melissa

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it is 4am and I am up to get started for the day. I need to run to St Louis with my youngest daughter (she has a screen test) and then the plan to spend Father's Day down there has been aborted. My husband is driving a truck to deliver sand for the sandbagging that is going on up and down the river.

In 1993 there was a terrible flood, similiar to this one. Many levees broke, flooding towns, farm grounds, major and minor roadways as well as bridges. Trips to St Louis were not happening unless you wanted to drive 2.5 hours East and go down I55. Then you will still have a 2-3 hour drive. It has been a joke for years, that West Central Illinois is the area that Illiniois has forgotten. Fortunately, that is not the case. They are predicting that the river will crest (stop rising) at 35-36 feet. In 1993 it hit 32 feet and like I said earlier, alot of people lost everything and it literally wiped towns off the map. My family and I have been sandbagging whenever we can. On Friday, we bagged for about 3 hours. We saw some of state reoresentatives come on and do their usual plea for help as they fill a sandbag or two. Saturday, Barak Obama flew in and bagged sand with us for a while as he expressed his concern for our , community and surrounding business, homes, acreage, etc. Saturday, a bunch of our friends and quite a few of our children, including my 4 month old granddaughter who kept us entertained, bagged sand for 9 hours. There were quite a few people there, however, we need more people.

Our local businesses have been overwhelmingly generous in keeping us stocked with food and beverages. We have had water, juice, chips and sandwiches from the stores as well as cookies, brownies and other snacks. From our Pepsi factory here in town we have had soda, water, Gatorade and lots of ice, cups, straws, lids as well as volunteers to serve us. We have had Burger King, Papa John's, Gem City Pizza, and other resturants keep us in pizza, chips and yes salsa! Someone even went to all the effort to make us stuffed mushrooms, mozerlla sticks, potatoe wedges with toppings, deep fried artichoke hearts and more. At least I will be able to work off all the weight that I will be gaining from eatting all the time.

Currently the Mississippi River is rising about 5 inches an hour and in our local areas, we have closed down numerous roads, a couple of bridges and have lost businesses, homes, parks and city streets to the river.
Yesterday, I took my kids to Clatt Adams Park and what normally would be a 7-10 foot drop from the pier and railing on the park, has now become stomping around in water to completely flooding out a couple of restuarants, boat clubs, etc. My children ran around in the river water at the park yesterday. Tonight, we cannot even get there as the river has completely enveloped the park, grandstands, water fountains, all the lovely landscaping, oh, I could go on. There are other parks along the Mississippi that h ave been underwater for a couple of days. The marina, which is out on an island has been cut off from and and is taking on water itself.

I could go on and on but I need to get some things down. I just wanted to stop in and say thank you to all the people who are thinking about us and wishing us well. If anyne would like pics, I will have them on in the next couple of days. You can also view our local newstations to see photos, interviews, etc. The web sites are www.wgem.com, www.khqa.com, www.whig.com . I know there are other tv stations up and down the river, but I don't have their websites close at hand. Anyway, thank all of you again. Tammy, I now you are looking at the same thing, just not as bad. You know what they saw, "everything rolls down hill".

Thank you,
Nancy

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flood of 2008

While the upper states along the Mississippi have started the long process of cleaning up, those of us down river continue to keep an eye to the sky and an eye to the river. The Mississippi remains extremely high and we have several level systems that are in dire danger from having that much water on them for so long.

Sandbagging had been suspended as we had a nice stash of them, however, as I mentioned the levees are getting weaker because of the excess of weight and the water.:worried: Last night here in my backyard we had 3.5 inches, while the airport had 5 inches. Many of the cities North of us on the Mississippi also felt the heavy rains and all of that water will travel down river to us. So today the call went back out to resume sandbagging so that is what we did.

There have been more towns that have been evacuated and there are at least 3-4 levees that they are seriously concerned with. We still have hundreds of active duty men and women here in town and they are on levee patrol as well as maintaining the levees. Missouri also has 700+ active duty men and women doing the same thing on the other side of the river. See, back in 1993, there was a man from Quincy that went and vandalized the levee so it would break on the Missouri side and relieve the pressure off the Quincy side. He is now doing time and we take our levees much more serious.

I know that this flood has been disruptive to so many people and on so many levels. People have lost electricity, phone service and such, the benefits. People have had to deal with the stench of dead fish, rotting garbage and excrement in their streets. Many,many people have lost their homes, their jobs, their crops and even their jobs. We have been blessed in all of our losses here in Illinois, we have lost no lives. We were richly blessed with people traveling up from New Orleans, Kansas City, and various other cities. They do not know us, but they will grab a shovel and a bottle of water and work shoulder to shoulder. We visit over lunch and find that some were sent by God, others were board after being out of college and not doing anything else to some saying that their grandparents were from the area to a van load of young men who said it was the right thing to do.

I know we all deal everyday with pain, illness and sometimes such horrible depression. Our illnesses are enough to keep even the most sane person in bed and ready to give up. I have always been a giving person but have learned to give more than I normally would. If all of these people can come up here and help us then my pain and discomfort can wait. I will stand with the common man and woman and count scoops of sand one-two-three and then tie the bag.

No pain no gain,
Nancy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts