TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya all! Not posted for a while as I have been reasonably well but have kept an eye on all posts. Just thought I drop in a post as i am due to come over to Florida at the beginning of Feb. Doing the ol' Disney thing with my kids..... yikes!

Would like some advice re sunscreen etc and availability of shops selling sun protective clothing around the orlando area. It will be a good opportunity for me to buy some good clothing for me and my son who also seems to be very sun sensitive.

Well fingers crossed for reasonable weather, and hoping the fatigue keeps as bay for me for the two weeks. Thanks in advance for any help....

Lynda
x

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I live here in florida...I havent found any greater access to UV clothing than anywhere else. BASS PRO SHOPS is a good place, I know they have one in Orlando, but don't know how close to Disney area. They do have a great online store.

As for sunscreen, you can get it anywhere! Grocery stores, drug stores and gift shops.

I just recommend, you rest as needed, there are pleny of shady places to sit for a few minutes. I dont know how old the kids are, but most get exhaused there too. If you are staying on Campus, you get early access to the parks, 1 hour before normal people, so that will give you an advantage of getting into the areas you want before they get really crowded.

Plan your days...You can get maps and information at the hotel, plan what areas are of the greatest interest, and try to do them right away, so if you miss them you have time to get back to them.

If you plan to eat a "nice" dinner at Epcot, make a reservation! They fill up fast.

Also this is the best weather we get all year, high 60's - high 70's and sometimes up to the 80's but not boiling and very low humidity. Bring a sweater as it can get a bit chilly in the evening. They have great fireworks at night, so try to see those too.

Sorry I know I probably sound like a travel book, but so many people get overwhelmed by the crowds and miss things they should see for lack of research. The Driving experience is VERY cool for the slightly older "kids" in the group...little kids like it to. It is tough to get into, so plan, plan, plan.

Have a great vacation!!!!

Remember to rest when you need it, even if it means a day at the water park, where you lay in the shade and relax...the kids will still have a great time.

Also sea world has a kids camp...1/2 day and you get the time off!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you advice. I am going with a 9 year old and a 4 year old. My mum, dad and aunt are also coming so I have plenty of back up. Must admit don't know who is more excited me or the kids.

Luckily we are staying in a villa, so should i have an off day, the others can take the kids out (or more likely we can all just flunk in front of the pool) when we've had enough.

Thanks for the advice. Glad I've picked a good time of year.

Lynda
x

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Lynda,

If you have trouble finding sunscreen they sell it at DisneyWorld. Naturally it is a little more expensive.

When I go I rent a wheelchair at the Park. It really helps save your energy. When you are doing well and feel like walking someone else can rest their feet. They have maps to show you the special entrances for the disabled at each ride. Since you will have a large group someone would stay with you and the rest of your party would wait in line. Once they get to the head of the line you would all be boarded together.

One thing to remember is to stay hydrated. I also set an alarm to remind me when to take my medications. When you are having fun it is so easy to forget.

Have a great time,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Just a comment - the power wheelchairs at Disney run about $50 a day. The push chairs are less. There is also a place called Scootaround.com (I think) that rents wheelchairs at just about every big city in the U.S. I used them when I went to Indianapolis for a convention. They run about the same price per day (I think it ran me about $46 in 2005) and will drop the chair off at your hotel. Of course the only problem is getting it to your destination. I don't know if they will drop it off at Disney - they might. They are, I think, somewhat better cushioned than Disney's power chairs (and you don't have to worry that they run out as you pre-reserve them) and are fully guarenteed to work. They don't always look as good but they also have the key that you can take out when you leave them so no one can steal them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts