The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
JellyJazz
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently on a trial week to work out how i cope with different working hours. The place where i am has strip lighting and energy saving bulbs. I seem to react to both of these - causes fatigue and joint pain. I am also UV senstive but i've been told sensitivity to this type of lighting is rare but does happen in SLE.

What can i do about this??
Thank you!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

It's not quite as rare as they first believed. Many of us here have problems with it. I assume by strip lighting you mean fluorescent strips? If so then there are filtering covers available that your employer might fork out for. The compact fluros are more troublesome though and unless they will replace them with normal light bulbs then I'm at a loss as to what would help.

Of course even with the above measures it's essential to wear sunscreen even when inside if you are sensitive to artificial lighting, that will help some.
But the other common measures such as wearing a hat and sunglasses is hardly practical in this situation. Sorry I couldn't help more :(

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Jelly,
There are filters which can be put over the fluorescent tube lights to block the problem rays. The manager should order them for you, and if a problem, have your rheumy write an order for them.

I refuse to have the cfl bulbs in my house. They, from the start, had problems for people with light sensitivities. I use regular old bulbs, and figure that I reduce land fills in other ways so this is my payback.
Sally

·
JellyJazz
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the moment i'mstill at home with mum and dad and they have energy saving bulbs EVERYWHERE...but when i have my own place its something that i will have to consider.. Will look into the covers though -i have a meeting set up about Lupus and my work as they want to understand it more and help me in the work place!

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
You can ask that they put you were these lights are not, you ask that they change the lights in your area, or have them shut off and bring a lamp. I am not sure what kind of work you do but there are steps that can be taken to help you if they want to keep you working. It will depend on your company what they are will to do since it is a trial. I wish you the best in your new hours and that you find a way to make it work for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.