The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have FM and I was just wondering how my fellow FM folk are affected by exercising! :eek:

Long story but I had surgery on my (hypermobile) knee last week and my Dr has told me to strengthen my leg muscles to aid my rehab and protect me from further injury. But I find it so sore, not like I used to feel after an hour in the gym. Its while I am doing the exercise that I get achy and tired after a couple of minutes on my exercise bike. I dont think that I am unfit because I have three young kids, a physical job and am on the go nearly all day. Anyway does anyone have any suggestions (not swimming though!) on which exercises FM people do.

I was thinking of buying one of those vibration power plates as they state that they may benfit FM but other reports say that they may cause lower back pain and cartilage damage (both of which I have hence the knee surgery in the first place!) so I have not decided yet. Hubby thinks that I won't use it, he is probably right - AGAIN :blush:

Also is it true that exercise helps to control this condition. I really want to get healthy, lose weight and strengthen my muscles and joints so I would appreciate any little bit of advice. Thank you :rotfl:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia since 1989 when I was in college, what helped me the most and still does is of course swimming, which I know you didn't want to hear, but I also have a three wheeled bike and I ride it around the apartment complex, it is easier to ride than a two wheeled one, since I broke my hip, but a little hard getting used to the way they steer. A lot of times, depending on where you are people have used ones for sale, the new ones are a bit pricey, but I was lucky that my mom purchased one for me. They are not difficult to peddle no matter how fast you are going and an easy way to exercise. I find that they don't strain my muscles or make me sore no matter how long I ride. The GP always says walk but I find riding easier on me. Some people use those elastic bands tied to a door knob and pull them with a straight arm. You might also have an appointment with a physical therapist just to get some strengthening ideas. Best I can do right now, Karly:wink2:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just bought an exercise bike and i'm very comfortable with that.

I used to jog miles everyday before this disease hit me and now i can bearly walk some days.

The bike, swimming(i know i know) and walking helps my fibro. I hate to admit it but the docs say exercising helps the fibro and it does. But i also have 2 slipped disks in my lower back so it makes it hard to walk long distance because of the pain.

Since I got a shot for my back and an exercise bike that supports my back i'm doing better and fibro doesn't bother me as much.

I'm also taking cymbalta 60mg that helps my fibro as well.

If i were you i would try everything to see what works but riding you tricycle and exercise bike sounds great for what you need,,, it may just take some time before you see any results.

Good Luck
Take Care

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
I don't have fibro but I can say with lupus excersing hurts. I tried to get back into it and after a few days of doing just 20 minutes of the bike and light weights, my body pain was extremenly high. So I stopped.

I guess you have to start "very slow" and take it easy despite whether you have fibro or lupus.

Swimming is the best for both diseases, but face it, it is hard enough getting up and even harder making it to a gym that has a pool.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone
And thanks for the advice. I know that I said no to swimming but I suppose I could use it as an excuse to take the kids to the pool but I live in Scotland and it is soooooooooooo cold!!!
If I lived somewhere warm.....:cloud9:

Anyway I have taken your advice, I take my painkillers and give it 20-30 minutes then get on my (exercise) bike!! It helps taking it easy. I did find out yesterday that my iron levels are low so have been started on iron tablets. Thats why I'm so breathless and tired!!! I just put it down to my FM being tired a lot.

Thanks again friends
Lynn
xxx

·
Registered
612 Posts
The only thing that didn't make my fibro worse and wasn't hard on my joints was water areobics. I wish I could get back in the class but I work 40 or more hrs a week and they don't have it a night. I think all the walking up/down the hall at work gives me all the exercise I need lol.

JEN

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello law2lam

I have fm and yes after about 2 minutes of exercise my muscles are screaming and burning! However I have found that those big exercise balls are very good - there are many different exercises you can do on them - I do 5 reps of about 4-7 exercises and although it hurts like crazy while I'm doing it and I feel shaky afterwards - I do think its worth doing - if nothing else just to show your muscles who's boss!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks jb1, you made me laugh with your comments. I have a gym ball (just need to inflate it) and I didnt think of using it for this purpose. I bought it to sit on whilst watching the TV to strengthen my core muscles. Will blow it up and give it a go. Thanks :)

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
I became ultra sensitive to the chlorine used in public swimming pools. I really liked the warm water pools used for arthritis foundation classes and other medical needs. What I figured out when I went to physical therapy was that I could handle a recumbant stationary bike. I start out slow each time I am starting over and ride at a gentle pace for just a few minutes the first few days. (where I am once again) I gradually increase the amount of time and my speed naturally picks up as my legs get stronger. I also do several range of motion exercises which keep everything nimble.

The thing with Fibromyalgia is that you can push yourself too much and make it worse. If you don't exercise at all that also makes it worse. Aim for the happy medium. You might see if the Arthritis Foundation in your country sponsors exercise classes. In my area there is both the warm water and on solid ground groups.

Take care,
Karen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts