The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Old Timer
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, :wavey:

In 2006, I became involved in a program which helps researchers find cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers just to name a few. A program runs lab simulations using home computers saving them years of actual lab testing, speeding up research progress about 30 times. The simulations they run are working to understand folding (The process of cell growth). It's the "Misfolding" of cells that creates diseases. You can get more info here: http://folding.stanford.edu/

Folding applications only use idle clock cycles, meaning that if another application has need of the CPU, the folding application will decrease its usage until the other application's needs have been satisfied. The only draw on system resources is the RAM that's utilized, which remains utilized even when other applications are using the CPU. Most of the time I’m just web browsing and don’t notice it’s running. When I play games or do other heavy computing I simply pause or quit the folding program until I’m finished, then start it again after.

There are roughly 250,000 people around the world (2006) (now over 1.6 million people in 2011) contributing to this program. Points are given for every work unit completed to the name and team number you choose. I created a team for us back in February 07' called For_Lupus (Team# 53993).

There are different folding clients available for Window XP/Vista/7, Linux, Mac, and even PS2 systems . The clients run on your CPU (Processor) and GPU (Video cards). For duel core and quad core systems, the SMP client is the most productive. If your system is always connected to the internet and can meet the deadlines on SMP work units, you can receive higher points. The GPU client is for high end video cards (Nvidia 8800's and ATI 5000's series and newer) and currently the fastest client.

Folding clients:

Standard Clients: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download
High Performance Clients: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

* Windows XP/Vista/7 - Folds with your CPU. You can run on multi-core processors by adding the -smp flag in your shortcut or config setup (More about that later).
* Linux - Similar to windows only using Linux. :wink2:
* Mac OS X – Ditto for Mac :lol:
* Nvidia/ATI GPU – For High end graphics cards
* Playstation 3 – Yep, works great!

How to get started! :thumbs:

I will try make this as easy as possible. I am mainly a Windows user but I have folded with Linux with SMP work units as well. The 2 Stanford download pages and help files for the standard clients are here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download -OR- http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther for the High performance clients.

There are two kinds of GPU clients available, a Systray type and a Console type. The advantages of the Systray version are ease of installation and configuration, and a client icon on the task bar to control the client. The Console version runs in a command prompt window. Both client types work at the same speed.

* Windows XP/Vista/7 (systray) – This is the easiest version to use. You need an internet connection for downloading and uploading work units. Just download the client then double click the downloaded file to install the client. The first time you run the client, a configuration window will come up where you will put in your Folding name, Team number, and setup info (Like adding -smp for multi core folding). After you finish with that you will be folding your first work unit. After the first time, it can run automatically when you turn on your computer if you set it up that way. While it's running, there will be an icon at the bottom right of your screen. Right clicking on the icon will show options you can use.

* Windows XP/Vista/7 (console version) – This one has a little different setup and look but it does the same job as the systray version.

On first start, configuring the console version will look a lot like this (I have used answers from my own use as an example).

User name [Anonymous]? Tom
Team Number [0]? 53993
Passkey []? Just press enter for now unless you have one already
Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes) [no]? Press Enter
Use proxy (yes/no) [no]? Press Enter
Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units
may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Congratulations Tom! :) :highfive:

Next positive milestone....your SSDI decision... :wink2:

Hope you are doing okay?
Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
718 Posts
WTG Tom, i went to the site, and have to admit i did'nt understand
one word of it.
Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Congratulations Tom to you and your team.:more: This is such a special and worthwhile project you must get a lot of satisfaction from participating.

Hugs

Clare

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
hi tom

well done to you!!:thumbs: keep up the good work!

PAULINE :lol: don't worry I didn't understand neither!glad it wasn't just me :wink2:

take care..karen x

·
Old Timer
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your support everyone! :grhug:

I would like to thank our team members as well.

Pookiehawk
oldmanriv
Rob

It's exciting to see a new name on the list of contributors as support for our cause grows. I may not know who you are, but want to thank you for your help on our team.

Helping Stanford work to find cures for diseases gives me a little hope and a good feeling of knowing I'm doing what I can to help.
:)

It's amazing how one good deed can lead to many others. Thank you Joanne for creating this special site for us! :love2:

And to all the moderating staff that keeps it special for everyone. :flower2:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Info please!

Hi Tom!

My son is doing Folding at Home for cancer research, and I'd like to give him the information needed to join your team. Feel free to PM or email me.

Thanks!

Terri

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Congratulations to you Tom and to your team ! :)

Hugs

Clare

·
Registered
391 Posts
New team member

Hi Tom!

My son has joined the team. He is micho523.

Terri

·
Brenda
371 Posts
Tom, does this take up a lot of system/connection resources? My parents work from home and sometimes use my computer and we have dsl shared through a router.

·
Brenda
371 Posts
I signed up for it. It's been running since yesterday. I looked at the team stats, but I don't see my name (I used christianirc). I'm sure I signed up for your group because when I right click on the icon and click "team stats" it takes me to your page.

·
Old Timer
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After your first work unit is completed, your name will be on the list and show your points. :)

The only time it needs an internet connection is when it uploads or downloads a work unit, unless your using the SMP client. You would need a constant connection for that but it doesn't use much internet time.

The folding application itself only uses idle clock cycles, meaning that if another application has need of the CPU, the folding application will decrease its usage until the other application's needs are through. The only drain on system resources is the RAM that's utilized, which remains the same even when other applications are using the CPU.

In Lupie terms, you shouldn't notice much of a difference. :hehe:

Welcome to the team! :cheer2:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts