The Lupus Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Old Timer
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Sophie - I am folding on both 32bit and 64bit Vista, it should run fine. What OS and which client are you using?

Shera - If your CPU usage is showing 100%, folding is using all of your idle clock cycles as it should. Another way to see it is with task manager. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to access it (Windows XP or Vista) then click the Performance tab. I believe the "Systray" version only runs one instance of folding. Let me know what your CPU usage is, there will probably only be one core running at 100%. With a Quadcore you may want to run the SMP client (If you have a constant internet connection). I will be adding that one next on the first post.

·
Dee
302 Posts
The performance tab is showing the CPU Usage at 25%, then I have 4 grid boxs to the right of that, & all 4 are showing some activity.
Under the Process Tab [email protected] says it's using 00 CPU, & it's priority is showing as low, I have another FahCore_78 using 25 CPU, it's the only thing showing as running under the Process tab, it's priority is set at Low, the folding programme is working though.
So I'm not sure if that's whats using the 25%, & is it the folding program lol. confusing or what :D

I'll try that SMP client, asd soon as you get the info up :).

·
Old Timer
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
The 25% is showing that you're folding on one core (One bar will be solid). Windows and any other background programs will show up on the other cores. I have just updated the first post for SMP. :)

Something I use all the time is a program called Core Temp. It shows your CPU load and core temperatures. It's a free program and you can download it here: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Another freebie I use is called HDMonitor. It shows a lot more information like temps, fan speeds and voltages: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Good luck!

·
Dee
302 Posts
I've downloaded the new one for the 4 cores.
Do I uninstal the one I'm running now before installing it?

EDIT:
This one is a bit confusing lol.
I think I'll stick with the one I'm using for the moment :)

·
Old Timer
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
:lol: Yeah it's a little more involved but you could get up to 8x the points of a single client. I think you do need to remove the other one before using SMP. You're other option is the console version and run up to 4 separate instances of the folding program. It's so much like SMP though, if you got that one going you could do the SMP just as easily.

It's ok if you just want to use what you have running, it's by far the easiest to set up and run. Do you know what video card you have? The Nvidia GPU client is just as easy to set up and gets around 10x the points that a single CPU client gets, plus you can run both at the same time. :wink2:

Honestly, fold as much or as little as you comfortable with. Every point helps the cause to find cures and that's what's important. :)

It's great our team now has 3 new members added to the list, just in the past 2 weeks too! :thumbs: Thanks and welcome to the team! You can keep an eye on your progress here: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=53993

I add new team members to this list as we go: http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showpost.php?p=497036&postcount=25

Happy folding! :goodvibes:

Edit: make that 4 new members! :cheer2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tom,
I have Vista , 64 bit, I am using a laptop that I just bought in July. SO I am really still getting used to Vista since I am not online very much. I uninstalled the folding program and I will try it again after I defrag. I have run my virus software and nothing showed up so I don't know what the problem was. It just said I had a bad dat file and would not load. I have been sick this last week and have not done much with the folding program I apologize.
Sophie

·
Old Timer
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Take your time Sophie, it should be pretty straight forward. Keep in mind if you get a firewall message or two immediately after you start the folding program, don't block them or it won't work. One thing about Vista, the first thing I do after installing it is disable the UAC setting. It stops all those annoying messages you get every time you do something.

Let me know if you still have problems when you install it next time.

·
A bit loopy
38 Posts
Question Time

Hi Tom,

I have just checked on the team page and found I have done 5 work units :rotfl: wooo! :lol:

But I also noticed that wifajax has done more than me (6) but is behind me points wise. How is that possible? Are there different factors like how fast you complete work units ect?

btw im mainly using the gpu beta client on the new computer

Alex

·
Old Timer
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Hi Alex,

There are lots of factors that determine points.

What kind of hardware you have and which client your using are the basic questions. There is a difference between CPU and GPU folding but depending on what hardware you have determines which will give you the most points. How long you fold daily also makes a difference obviously.

I'll use my 3 systems as examples. I have an Intel Q6600 quad core processor in all 3 rigs which average around 2200 PPD each (PPD = Points per day). Then I have:
1 - 8800gs GPU that puts out around 4000 PPD
2x - 8800GTS's for around 5000 ppd each
2x - 9800GTX's about 6000 ppd each
1 - GTX280 gets around 7500 PPD.

If all 3 systems ran 24/7 they would do about 40,000 ppd. I use the best rig for gaming and the other 2 run 24/7 most of the time. Other factors that make a difference are overclocking and which work units you end up getting (Some take longer than others).

So these are just a few things to look at if you're trying for maximum points. If you list your hardware (Or PM them to me) I can tell you if you can get even more with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tom,
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have been sick. Had my first go around with pleurisy. Not fun... I am a respiratory therapist and I thought I understood this ailement, well now I can really say I empathize! Everything here is on hold until I get into the nephrologist to see what is going on with my kidney function and I have not felt much like dealing with my computer. So I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks,
Sophie

·
A bit loopy
38 Posts
Specs

Thanks for you reply Tom,

My specs are:

Intel E5200 Dual Core @ 2.6GHz (my brother said he would overclock it to around ~3GHz when he next comes back ;))
4 gigs of RAM
ATI HD4850 512mb graphics card (

·
Old Timer
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Sophie - don't worry, your health comes first! I hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Alex, the E5200 is a nice little processor. I put one in the last system I built an it did better than I expected. :) Nothing wrong with your GPU either, your system has to be almost new. With 4gig of ram, are you running 64bit Windows?

As far as overclocking goes, you may need an aftermarket heat sink to get 3ghz or higher. I got the E5200 I had up to 2.8ghz but it was getting a little too hot for my liking with the stock HS. Running at stock 2.5ghz, it actually ran well so I just left it there. But if you know what you're doing and have the right hardware, a few have hit 4Ghz. :eek: You must some noisy fans if your system is that loud, they do make quieter fans. :wink2:

·
A bit loopy
38 Posts
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your advice - I did some research into overclocking, pretty interesting :blush:

My brother did install a better cooler, so I think it should be able to take the 'heat'!

Talking of heat - what kind of tempratures would you say is normal?

Alex

PS. pretty happy - 12 WUs! :lol:

·
Old Timer
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Hi Alex,

The max temp for your E5200 is 74c ( http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAY7 ) beyond that it probably won't last very long. I try to stay around 10c under the max at full load. There is a lot to overclocking and you risk burning up components if you're not careful. You also void any warranty if it caused damage any parts. I won't tell you how many parts I've had to replace over the years, but if you're ok with all of that then it's a fun hobby to get into. It's important you have good parts to start with if you plan to get the best possible results. A good cooler for your processor is a must, so you've got a good start. 8)

13 WU's now and your halfway up the team list already. Nice job! :)

·
A bit loopy
38 Posts
Hi Tom,

Yeah, it was a pretty damn big cooler :lol:

big cooler + small case = tight fit :p

You recommended Core Temp so I downloaded it. Under 100% load, Core #0 and #1 are each around 47C

·
Dee
302 Posts
Hi Tom.
I have an Nvidea graphics card, :)

My son is going to set the SMP one up for me as soon as he can, he's better at this sort of thing than me :lol:

·
Dee
302 Posts
7100, it's onboard, & I can't change it til it's one year old, which I will be doing the day it is one :lol:

I'm still waiting for my son to do the SMP one. :(
I can't tie him down yet til he has some free time :lol:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
:woohoo: congrats to the team and thanks for your achievement!

love
Lily

61 - 80 of 93 Posts